Old Pebble Dash

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Pebble Dash on house which is approx.90 years old needs painting as (several)old coats of paint have cracked and have discovered that rendering and pebble is not stuck to wall.Have chipped small section away to expose bricks which are damp(red soft)I would like to tackle myself but have limited diy skills should I continue(can't afford expert) Would have experts re render
as I presume it would have been pebble dashed to hide bricks.Would it harm
bricks if exposed for some time as I would of course be rather slow at the task.Many thanks

Sponsored Links
These older type of houses with larger pebble dash are the most difficult to patch and slightly harder to do a full render.

I am patching and doing a couple of complete walls at the moment and i can tell you the patching is the most difficult mainly because you have to match the style and size / even spacing of the dash otherwise when dry and painted it will stick out like a sore thumb.

With really badly damaged brickwork - ie bricks crumbling and falling apart the best idea is to fit a wire mesh overcoat screwed into the brickwork to give a top layer stability before you render.

Best idea is to remove the blown render , let the wall dry out for a few weeks , apply a pva coat to the bricks , apply a first lime/sand/cement render layer making sure you do a good job filling every crack and in particular around the old render. Scarify the first layer to provide a base for the second layer.

Apply a second layer and make sure you keep it wet - i usually use a common or garden house plant spray filled with water.

There are two ways to apply the stone dash but with larger stones i prefer to flick it onto the second layer unmixed - premixed pebbles with cement is difficult to get a good flat layer and tends to clump together.

Always wash the stones in water before you flick them on as this will make the stones adhere better to the wall - some builders use their square trowel to press the pebbles into the second layer but if you have done a good enough job you shouldnt have to do this.

Hope this helps anyone else as i couldnt find any resources on the net except the easy small stone dashwork which is relatively easy compared to older building styles such as the John Lawrence quality houses of the 1950-60's and their thick pebble render and Weathershield paint layer.

Yes you are quite correct!

I'm actually a tiler and always used to using pva (and only on my chipboard subfloors as it does soak in 90%- never on ply or on walls to be tiled) - I should have said SBR for outside as pva is a definite nono due to its properties when re-wet!

I always use plasticiser with my cement mixes for outside work - next week its a patio steps and large ones at that but they have all crumbled because the builder didnt put an edge lintel on it and the rain looks like it has just poured over the edge end straight behind the render and has rotted the el cheapo bricks he used so its gonna be a bigger job than expected - I like the new ceramic type bricks used in modern buildings never seen those fall apart like the old style fired clay style bricks.

I should also add - let the stones lie for a while after wetting dont throw them on soaking wet or you will cause a nasty mess and weaken the dash.

Well spotted though glad someone actually reads these old posts.

Sponsored Links
But some poeple still find old threads useful.

I have foudn some older tghreads on here very useful and wanted to give some input for others that may be looking so is it really necessary to post a pointless and inflammatory comment?

So quit trolling the forums to denegrate people who try and make a contribution.

Its comments like that that make contributors feel "why bother".

Sounds like you are bored!
:rolleyes:

omendata,

Quite right mate, the guy is a sad, fool of a troll whose been allowed to get away with it for far too long. Thing is, when he's challenged, he slinks away like a proper joey - you know, the kind of joey that jailhouse people use for running errands and suchlike services.

Given that he likes to hang around when men are talking, perhaps there's some psychological issue?

But some poeple still find old threads useful.

I have foudn some older tghreads on here very useful and wanted to give some input for others that may be looking so is it really necessary to post a pointless and inflammatory comment?

So quit trolling the forums to denegrate people who try and make a contribution.

Its comments like that that make contributors feel "why bother".

Sounds like you are bored!
:rolleyes:

The rules are START YOUR OWN THREAD. People are fed up reading posts only to discover that they are years old. Is that simple enough for you?

As for Dan - worra waste of space. Asks a load of questions and NEVER gives an answer. :rolleyes:

What people

Rubbish
Old threads hold good information.
Jeez its well seeing you've never been a moderator on a BBS.
If thats your view then why not delete all the old threads then if they are of no use!

So you end up creating multiple threads on the same topic so we now have 3 threads with Old Pebble Dash as the title - duh!!!

I am a new member and I am telling you myself and the two people who gave me the url found the old threads useful.

You obviously dont have the humility to apologise for your unwanted and unneccessary reply so are waffling on - the previous guy was right!

joe-90,

which rules are you referring to? Please quote the "rules"?

There is a rule, of course, asking posters not to shout in capitals, perhaps you are confused?

You mention that "People are fed up ..." Who exactly are the plural people that you refer to? Or do you typically refer to yourself in the third person - rather like the Queen!

Yea dann there is always some sanctimonious sad sac with x thousand posts on every site - shows you how much time he spends on here spoiling a perfectly good thread with posts that waste what was an interesting thread!

Bit of advice - If you havent got anything nice to say - then dont say anything at all!

In future "TALK TO THE HAND" dude!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back