Help with tiling to wood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have built a shower cubicle and the frame that the shower door fits in to is made of wood and the other 3 walls are plastered walls with the floor being concrete and a small wet room drain fitted. The frame is about 120mm wide on all four sides of the shower door with the bottom also forming a barrier to stop the water from the shower floor running out of the cubicle. the timber used is solid 120mm x 50mm.
What I wanted advice on was what sort of adhesive to use to tile to the wooden frame and any preparation I should do? Most adhesives that I see for use on wood are for floor tiles, could that still be used for wall tiles ?

Sponsored Links
Get hold of a tanking kit - this is basically a waterproof barrier kit. Bal or Dunlop do one. Give the walls and floor a coat and then tile on to that.

I am coating the walls and floor in a liquid membrane but I am worried about tiling to the wooden frame even though it will be sealed, it would seem that I need a flexible wall tile adhesive and that is something I have never seen ?

Sponsored Links
As Gcol says BAL whitestar will be fine onto a tanked surface if you want readymixed, mosaicfix if you want powdered.

Jason

I am trying to finish off a tiling job in our bathroom and don't really know how best to do it. The tricky bit ( in my mind) is the stud wall reveal. The tiles cover the face of the stud wall (which is plasterboard) but I am not sure how to get around the edge of the timber stud. Can I tile straight on to the cls timber? Or would I have to plasterboard the reveal and try to cut a tile to cover the depth of the board? Hope this makes sense?! Any help would be great.

I am coating the walls and floor in a liquid membrane but I am worried about tiling to the wooden frame even though it will be sealed, it would seem that I need a flexible wall tile adhesive and that is something I have never seen ?

flexy addy can be used on walls aswell

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back