US Existing Fixture to be tapped into adding a new light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
PLEASE HELP!! United States homeowner wanting to install resessed shower lighting in cieling. I am trying to splice into the existing main fixture wire so that it runs off of the same switch but when I do this the new light turns on when i turn the electricity back on and the switch is in the OFF position. The existing fixture seems fine but like I said only the new one seems to have a mind of its own...PLEASE HELP!! Any adivce on this one?????

Sponsored Links
you have wired it wrong (obviously) but as this is a UK based forum, you would be best asking here

Be more specific; does the light turn on when the switch is off, and turn off when the switch is on? Or is it permanently on no matter what?

i'd say its permantently on, trouble is you cant really advise in case he has used wrong size cable / wrong colours, to which he will say i have used 18awg cable but the answer to that is what size cable is there already and is that the correct size?

It would be nice to be able to help more often than we do, but as we are not american electricians, each state also has differant wiring codes, most times the best thing to say is nothing / try here :cry:

It would be nice if we had input from electricians from other parts of the world , but alas they seem to "blow a fuse" and we see no more of them

Sponsored Links
Another case of why bother having a non-UK forum if we can't help them....

i agree, but can YOU help the poster? (or am i missunderstanding what you are saying?)

but as i also said It would be nice if we had input from electricians from other parts of the world , but alas they seem to "blow a fuse" and we see no more of them

also with questions such as was asked here

makes mildmanneredjanitor's signature more apt

It sounds like English, but I don't understand a word you're saying.

we really need more input from electricians from across the globe, that is why (i think) this forum is here

Back