Laying solid oak in porch on top of quarry tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm installing solid oak flooring in our living room. With the remaining flooring that's left over, I'm hoping to lay the remaining planks in the porch also, if possible.

Currently, I have quarry tiles in the porch, but they aren't in a great state. Having had plastering work done, the tiles had got covered in plaster drips and now can't be wiped/sanded away...despite much elbow grease :(

Has anyone got an opinion on whether this is a good idea or not? If I go ahead with putting the oak in the porch, I would need to put plywood down to get an even surface. Then, followed by the flooring which I'd be secret nailing down.

The porch is only small and is unheated. However, it is enclosed by the porch door and the front door. Also, the oak boards are t&g, 150mm wide, 19cm thick and is a brushed/oiled oak floor.

I'm worried about humidity and lack of heating, etc. Also, would it be better to just try and salvage the quarry tiles as an 'original feature'
of the house??
(and, if so, how would I do this??)

Any thoughts, help, comments appreciated.

Sponsored Links
siuz said:
The porch is only small and is unheated. However, it is enclosed by the porch door and the front door. Also, the oak boards are t&g, 150mm wide, 19cm thick and is a brushed/oiled oak floor.

I'm worried about humidity and lack of heating, etc.

You're very right to be worried about humidity and lack of heating in a small porch, specially with solid floorboards. Brushed surface in a porch where many muddy feed will trod isn't a good idea either.

IMHO you're better off with another type of floor-covering in the porch

siuz said:
Thanks, Wood You Like. Good to get an opinion on this.

Ta

if you have the oak in the porch it will constantly be subject to wet and grit will easily be scratched

if you have a matt in the porch you wil still get grid on the floor and under the matt and scratching the floor

if you have any thing standing wet in the portch then its a definate no no :cry:

Sponsored Links
Okay, so the consensus is a BIG NO then!

Back to the drawing board, methinks.

fully fit it in coir or entrance matting. Will stop all the crap going in the house and looks good when fully fitted.

Thanks for idea, but isn't coir hard to clean? I had a natural floor covering (think it was sisal) in another room which went horrible when wet. Couldn't clean it either...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back