Standby Plug for TV ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if I should I post this topic under "appliances" instead ....

I want to buy a stand by plug to save electricity. When an appliance such as a TV is put into standby using the remote, the standby plug detects the reduction in current drawn by the appliance, waits a minute or so, then shuts it down completely.

Has anyone used such a plug in their home? Do they work, are they safe and where can I get one ?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
How do you then turn the appliance back on?

Whats the point anyway? Standby uses such a small amount of current its going to take forever for this gismo to pay for itself anyway.

If you want to help the environment, turn it off fully, or unplug it by hand! This gismo sounds rather like a 'lazy idea'!.

Better still.......ditch ya telly :p

Lectrician said:
Better still.......ditch ya telly :p
I agree - my telly has not been switched on at all since March and I haven't missed it a jot...

Sponsored Links
i am wondering how much does this standyby plug use when it is in standby?

Those freezer plugs - that claim to reduce the electric used by your freezer - what did they actually do and did they work? I seem to recall seeing them on every single freezer in my local iceland once. :eek:

RF Lighting said:
How do you then turn the appliance back on?

Whats the point anyway? Standby uses such a small amount of current its going to take forever for this gismo to pay for itself anyway.

i measured all the tv videos and tv videos in my house [9 in all]

standby ranged from 1 to 30% of the in use power with the average of 17%

so with the average machine rated at around the 70w thats around 12w per appliance on average left on standby for say 12hrs
that =144w per day or 1 unit a week thats 50 a year x6p =£3now not a lot but when you miltiply by 9 thats £27 and when your anual leccy bill is around £270 thats 10% wasted for little advantage

Reynardine said:
Not sure if I should I post this topic under "appliances" instead ....

I want to buy a stand by plug to save electricity. When an appliance such as a TV is put into standby using the remote, the standby plug detects the reduction in current drawn by the appliance, waits a minute or so, then shuts it down completely.

Has anyone used such a plug in their home? Do they work, are they safe and where can I get one ?

Thank you.

if you look at my calculations above of a possiblle saving of £3 a year say your device costs £15 it would take 5 years to pay for its self
apart from saving the planet is it worth it!!!!!

Crafty said:
Those freezer plugs - that claim to reduce the electric used by your freezer - what did they actually do and did they work? I seem to recall seeing them on every single freezer in my local iceland once. :eek:

Reduce the power available once the motor has started, reducing power consumption and letting the motor run cooler,

(although I might be a little apprehensive that they might increase slip making the motor more inefficent and hot running and casusing it to run for longer, thus wasting rather than saving energy - but I presume the people who design and sell them have considered this aspect and proved that this is not what happens in reality!)

Crafty said:

only once, so that sort of says what iceland think of them

breezer said:
Crafty said:

No, it sort of says what I think of Iceland ;)

Crafty said:
breezer said:
Crafty said:

No, it sort of says what I think of Iceland ;)

So that's why mum's gone to Iceland. To investigate their overly complex and potentially self-defeating energy-based economy drive! And I thought it was to sort out that harlot, Kerry McFadden!

big-all said:
i measured all the tv videos and tv videos in my house [9 in all]

Except, of course, there's a reason that some things have a standby mode, and that's for non-attended/scheduled wake-up to do something e.g. a video recorder set on its timer, for example.

For my part I have a TV, home cinema amp, HTPC and PVR connected in my front-room. Neither of the last two could be used on any sort of standby plug, leaving the TV and the Amp being the only things that could benefit. They consume around 12W in total when on standby, so it hardly seems worth it...

Karl (inventor of the standby plug)

If you can show/find me a tv that uses 85% as much power in standby as it does when it is actually on, then I'll buy one of your standby devices.

My TV uses 300-400 watts when on (depending on screen brightness, colours displayed etc...) and less than 1watt when off, I've yet to find any devices that use an appreciable amount of energy in standby mode.

I'm not knocking you, the idea is a good one in principle, but from what I've seen most products simply aren't the energy hogs people have you beleive.

Additionally, your product must use some power for all of the time that the connected device is on (as it is monitoring the current/power drawn), so does this not just cancel out (at least in some part) the energy saved when the device is turned off rather than left in standby?

Cheers
-Dan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back