Vaillant TurboMax HW problem...Help!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

This is my first post on the forum as I have a problem and I'm looking for advise.

I have a Vaillant TurboMax 828e combi boiler which seems to have developed a problem. CH is fine but when I call for HW from any tap I get a water that flows hot then luke water back to hot then luke warm etc. I have taken a look at the boiler display with the tap open and the temp seems to rise to 82ish then falls to 76ish back to 82ish etc.

Surely I should get a constant flow of hot water. The problem is getting that bad that I can no longer comfortably take a shower or run a bath.

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance :)

Sponsored Links
When hot tap is running feel the 22mm pipes under boiler if they get hot you need a new diverter valve

Wow, thanks for the fast reply.

I already checked this having read it somewhere else on the net. The pipes are cold so I guess the valve must be ok.

I have also noticed that on occasion the flames go out when the high temp is reached only for the boiler to re ignite seconds later. Is this correct?

Any other suggestions. Thanks

Sounds like a problem with the Plate HE. Not an earth shatteringly difficult part to preplace but care needs to be taken that you don't drown electrics or disturb other local joints.

Sponsored Links
That will be the thing that your engineer will be checking or replacing ;).

It is where the heat is transferred from the radiator water (heated by gas) to the tap water.

It is a small "sardine tin" looking thing with two incredibly fine waterways criss crossing one other and it VERY prone to clogging.

We have been told that the Linea actually reads the HW outlet temperature unlike many other boilers.

In that case 80 C is too high for hot water!

If we were told wrongly then the system water will be 80 c when the DHW is around 40 C when the plate HE is blocked.

I am wondering if you may have any cross coupling of cold to hot water ?

Turn off the cold water feed into the boiler and see if anything still comes out of a hot tap!

Tony

OK so I got my plumbing man in and between us we determined the Plate HE was blocked. I've just flushed it and a load of crap came out. It's now running free and refitted.

Reste the system and tried the HW. Great Hot Water at first but then the boiler flames cut out and the S54 code came up - Delay mode due to flow temp gradient too steep.

Is this another problem?

Thanks in advance

nichollsm said:
OK so I got my plumbing man in and between us we determined the Plate HE was blocked. I've just flushed it and a load of rubbish came out. It's now running free and refitted.

Reste the system and tried the HW. Great Hot Water at first but then the boiler flames cut out and the S54 code came up - Delay mode due to flow temp gradient too steep.

Is this another problem?

Thanks in advance

Possibly just a bit of air in the boiler try running the heating for a bit aswell. Then back to HW. Reset the boiler to clear fault code.

Make sure the auto air vent is open, and bleed the pump (undo screw).

Bingo!

Cleaned the divereter valve aswell, refitted and all is back to normal.

Thanks guys, you've saved me a few bucks on parts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back