Can i use silicone between tiles instead of grout???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This may be a silly question but i have NO tiling experance. I have just tiled my bathroom from floor to ceiling and was wondering if i NEEDED to use grout?

The reason for my question is that grout discolours after time and i had an idea of just using a bathroom silicone between them to stop this happening as this stays clean and is mold resistant.

Its used between the bath, shower and sink to make it water tight so is it possible to use it instead of grout?

Thanks for looking at my question and any help you can give me.

Sponsored Links
Hi Raymondyule,
If I was you,I wouldnt even think of it.I know what you mean about silicone being mould resistant,but honestly it would be a nightmare trying to grout tiles with it.I don't think it would work.You wouldn't get a good finish and the mess it would make of the tiles would be horrendous.I think the job would be a total write off.I don't know of anybody else that has ever done it either.As you said you are not a tiler,but you are giving it a go,and my reply to you respects that.Stick with grout mate.It may get grubby over time,but if you dry the tiles everytime you have used the bath/shower,it will look ok for long enough.

Regards:Roughcaster

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back