Can you put silicone sealant over silicone sealant???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I just painted my bathroom ceiling but used masking tape across the area where the tiles in the shower meet the ceiling (which has silicone sealant along it).

Now there is a small gap where the ceiling paint meets the silicone sealant and i'm worried that moisture will get up in there and cause the paint to peel.

Would it be ok to apply sealant over the already laid sealant (which is in good condition), so that there is no gaps between the paint and the sealant (but rather the sealant over the paint)?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi z3usx,
Why not use your paint brush,and carefully cut in along the tiles and silicone to take away the small gap you refer to. It is not good to put silicone onto silicone.

Regards:Roughcaster.

effectively then i would be painting over the silicone as the gap is so tiny and so is the silicon bead. The reason i asked is that on other peoples showers, i ahve seen theat the silicone looks like it was applied after the paint.

If the gap as you say is that tiny,and you could get silicone into it rather than over the the existing silicone,then it would probably be ok.Emulsion doesn't stick to silicone either.Try the silicone.

Regards:Roughcaster.

Sponsored Links
Hi

If emulsion does not stick to sealant, then i think i might just paint closer to it with a really fine brush.

Also, is it possible to put sealant on grout at the end of the tile run?

thanks

To get over the emulsion sticking to the silicone, you can undercoat the silicone first using oilbase U/C, when dry, then you can emulsion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back