Extending a master phone socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was just wondering how easy it is to extend a master phone socket. At the moment the master phone socket is next to the window but I want to move it so it is at the bottom of the wall near the skirting boards.

I was going to ring BT and get them to do it but thought if it was quite easy I could do it myself. It is just a case of buying some extra cable and extending the existing one?

Sponsored Links
I dont want to run an extension from the master socket. I want to move the master socket itself so would need to extend the cable that is coming into the house.

Whats the point of running an extension from one box to another, I might as well just keep the master box where it is.

Sponsored Links
The BT master socket and the wire to it are the property of BT and should not be tampered with.

http://www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Wiring/UK_telephone/uk_telephone.html

If you decide to connect directly to the master socket or install/replace a master socket you should be aware that you are in breach of your licence to use the phone service and your service provider may charge if they have to come to rectify a fault caused by your efforts (it is rare for them so to do unless you have been really ham fisted).

Just remember that the master socket has a capacitor fitted and MUST be the first connection in your links to telephones and computers.
Make a note of the wiring connections and refit them back when you have moved it. If shortening them, cut them one at a time so as not to short them across one another.

dave

I've just rang BT and they're charging £165 to move the master socket to a diff location. Looks like I'll just have to get them to do it if Im not supposed to tamper with it. It'll save me the hassle as well.

krspa9 said:
I've just rang BT and they're charging £165 to move the master socket to a diff location. Looks like I'll just have to get them to do it if Im not supposed to tamper with it. It'll save me the hassle as well.
You should be able to do it if you know what you are doing. Unless you have that kind of dough ready.

If it's in a Special Location you are supposed to notify under Part P.

listen mate, why not save yourself £165 and pop along to B & Q, buy a length of telephone cable, a primary or secondary Jack unit (primary has the components in it like Capacitors and Inductors, and a cheap Krona tool for inserting the wires(if Jack unit doesn't use screws.)

Then connect one end of your cable over the existing wires in your BT jack unit( match colour to colour - you only need to connect 2 and 5, but just copy what is already there)...run your cable to where you want it, then connect up to your new Jack unit in Exactly the same fashion ( with the same colours as before).

Bingo, job done mate...very easy, and cheap!!

P.S No, it doesn't require Part P as suggested..It's only passing MilliVolts!! and not a new electrical installation...

MarkChester said:
P.S No, it doesn't require Part P as suggested..It's only passing MilliVolts!! and not a new electrical installation...

50 volt DC nominal ( 54 volt ) when on hook.

approx 9 volts DC when off hook

90 yolts AC referenced to 50 volt DC when ringing. ( peaks at -5 and -95 volts to earth )

Worst case current ( line shorted ) circa 100mA

You are moveing it for a better look but the twin incoming cable is to short it can be extended via a suitable jcn. box internal or external, use telephone extension cable its thinner but its ok make sure you get the wires the correct way round or it wont work.

If you are put off moving the master by the earlier posting, why not leave it where it is and fit an extension socket to the position required and wire from that to the master. I don't believe there is any problem with that.

Get down to your local DIY place and buy an extension socket. It will have fewer components in than the master presently fitted. You'll need some telephone extension cable (you'll need to use 3 cores, so 4 core or 6 will do, just leave the others spare).

With the cheapo plastic tool, connect the blue wires to terminals 2 and the blue/whites to terminals 5. These two terminals should already have the incoming BT cables connected. One of the previous posters didn't mention that you have to connect the terminals 3 together on each socket. The correct colour to use is orange (if you want to follow the BT procedure).

So to recap. Mount your extension to the wall, run your cable from the new on to the original master. Connect your extension socket as follows blue to 2, blue/white to 5 and orange to 3. At t'other end connect blue to 2, blue white to 5 (already have BT wire in) and orange to 3 (won't have anything in). If you can only get alarm cable with different colours, just make sure that they go to the same tewrminals on each socket.

BTW. the difference between the master and extension sockets is that the master has a couple of components to prevent interference and damage from lightening, so really it would work if you had more than one master BUT it also contains a resistor that BT can measure from the exchange that will tell them if the line is intact so if you had more than one master, this reading would be reduced and would give the impression of a cable fault. So the master MUST be the nearest to the incoming wires and any more have to be extension sockets. I believe you can have up to 3 extensions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back