2005 ford focus bonnet lock.

Good fix! I'm sure there is an official fix on the Ford Owners Club website? But the last time I visited, it broke down (ouch!) :p

Out of every vehicle I've ever driven, Ford has broke down the most. Citroen the most fragile, with bits falling off.

Sponsored Links
Yes I think there's good and bad with all makes and models. I opt for vw Audi when funds permit. I find the build quality much better but nearly everything is extra when it comes to creature comforts. My only advice is talk to people who own or have owned the same vehicle as your hoping to buy, research the web for advice, cross your fingers and toes and pray ! . O will say the focus has been very good though. We have owned it for 3 years now and other than normal running costs ( tyres, oil, filters ) etc this was the first problem we have had and my wife has clocked up nearly 50k since we bought it.

Hi
Just had this happen to me :(
Followed instructions and hopefully when I refit all will be working??

The white plastic "crap" joint had come apart! I could not get it back in the
car so I removed it!!

I did NOT cut the black gromit type screws but put a thin long screwdriver through the grill and into the opening in the screw holder and flicked the inner bits up ! this then allowed me to flick them out with the same screw driver through the gap left by the first lock opening!
I then pulled the grill out carefully as there were just clips at the bottom and the lock came out at the same time ?? Lucky for me?

When the grill was off if you look up at the lock you will see the second lock lever over the bonnet bar! All I did was to give this a shove with a thin steel bar or screwdriver and it pushed the lever back opening the bonnet! I had to remove the lock "two screws" then after a bit of fiddling the white x clipped back into the locking part!! :) it to some force and fiddling!!

Thanks Guys for the info which helped me a lot :)

Well a big thanks to the various contributors, my bonnet wouldnt open this morning and the tips saved some big bills...here's what i found.

My SIL was a garage mechanic, he suggested almost exactly what bonnetbodger did, get a long screwdriver or implement and first i used the tip to remove the rubber cover that protects the white barrel, it just slides back along the operating 'cable'.
Then use the tip and push quite hard on the white inner at the lock end, operating the key at the same time, you can feel the lock trying to work.
It took many attempts to get the right point, but the bonnet popped up.

Then to get it open properly...same procedure, quite a few attempts to get it right again.

Ideally you want someone with you to lift the bonnet, its hard pressing the screwdriver, turning the key, lifting the bonnet with one pair of hands.

A torch too, so you can see where youre trying to get to.

Once opened, i stripped the lock off, maybe to find i didnt need to. Once stripped, i couldnt get the cable end (white plastic cross) to re-engage. My SIL came round, with everything in place he simply pushed hard with the screwdriver on the same white plastic...and it clicked into place (i'd been trying to do it with my hands)

Thanks all, bonnetdodgers method worked particually well.

Sponsored Links
:D

As per Bonnettbodger, thanks to all the helpful advise from previous postings. I have a 53 plate and this was invaluable help and worked. Thought the picture and explanation of the 3 main components was also really helpful. Many people across the UK owe beers to others for all the money saved.

Just a point to note, I used the technique previously given of putting something through the grill to apply pressure at the base of the middle section rather than trying to remove the grill first.

Fiddly job but all in all easy enough to do yourself rather than paying FORDs.

I've struggled with this issue on my 06 Focus for 3hours today and still not made any progress apart from making marks on the grill.

I've had a long screw driver in there and pushed and poked but still no joy. I've tried removing the grill but it does not seem to want to come out. Is drilling the lock an option or will that not work.

Why ford have chosen this design is only known to them-it's not fit for purpose. There are too many moving parts and the contacts are plastic and a metal cable is being used to twist the lock open when you turn the key. Someone please tell ford a cable can only be used to pull not push or twist! This is an example on how not to do it. The key operates a cable bit like a bicycle brake cable axcept this one twists rather than pulls. The other end of this cable is connected to the locking mechanism which holds the bonnet. If your bonnet does not open it could be that the cable has either come out of the key end or that the plastic bits at the bonnet catch end have either broken or come apart. The bonnet catch is also very flimsy and is spring operated and if a spring breaks or deforms your bonnet will not open. If dust gets into the bonnet catch or if you use too much thick grease it will make it harder for the various moving parts to open the lock. Best thing to use is wd40 which will keep it working smoothly. The force required to open the bonnet is more than the moving parts can handle and over time they will wear out or simply come apart.If the key does not twist in both directions then the problem is with the locking mechanism which may be freed with WD40. If the key turns but bonnet does not open then the problem is either the cable or the plastic contacts located on the bonnet catch and you will have to get the bonnet open first. I have a 1.6 tdci which does not have screws to open the front grill, you will have to get to the lock by removing the front grill by prizing it out. It also helps to remove the rubber mud skirt below the bonnet. Alternatvely you could cut open the grill-they are very cheap at scrap yards. Once you have access to the cable you may have to cut the cable and release the bonnet. I decided to cut my losses and brought the complete assembly from a scrap yard. I now have two keys but I am confident that when I want to open the bonnet it will open and will not spring open unintentionally. In total it will cost £30 for lock & key and £10 for a new front grill.

I thought I had the same problem but after opening the bonnet I found that the latch works fine with the key but not when the bonnet is down, could it be a spring or something in the catch, where can i get a new catch?

any help much appreciated

I thought I had the same problem but after opening the bonnet I found that the latch works fine with the key but not when the bonnet is down, could it be a spring or something in the catch, where can i get a new catch?

any help much appreciated

There's plent on ebay and very easy to fix-just two bolts holding the unit down.

I couldnt open the bonnet on my mk1 2002 51 reg focus. Before trying the suggestions in the forum, try this: Find your old spare key (the one you have never used?) and try that. It worked for me! Compare your regular key with the spare and you will probably find they look quite different. Regular one is quite worn and smaller than the spare. David

Sorry to bring this thread from the dead but am having the same problem in that my key doesnt open my bonnet. I have read the detailed description above, and he states about opening it from the inside of then car, how do you get to the bonnet lock from the inside?

I have now sorted this, it was my key that had worn so much it wouldn't work in the lock. Got a new key made £8.82 and now works first time.

quick question...... is there a way to remove it and put a classic standard pull leaver inside the car to open the bonnet ??

Sponsored Links
Back