DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Best Method for Sanding Parquet Floor

This topic originated from the How to page called Wood block / Parquet floors
Click here to return to the page called Wood block / Parquet floors.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Floors, Stairs and Lofts
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevenbarich

from United States of America

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:09 am Reply with quote

Hello,
I hope this isn't too much of a repeat question, but I want to sand a parquet 7-finger mosaic tile floor that consists of two old, different colored/stained tile types, as well as a newly laid section of parquet (replacement for water damaged tile).

The room is 16x32 feet. Should I use a hand-held orbital sander? Should I look around for an industrial orbital sander? I have noticed some people go it by hand, some choose a more industrial approach (i.e., belt sander, etc.). I just want to sand the tiles enough to remove any prior finishes and then apply a new stain over the entire floor, in order to bring together the three multiple colors closer (I'm not expecting miracles, but ok...).

Since there isn't a problem with leveling, just with preparing the tiles by removing the older finish/sealers, what do the wise parquet gurus recommend?

Thank you in advance,
Steve
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
WoodYouLike

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:02 am Reply with quote

Any old finish had to come off completely otherwise you still end up with a patched floor.
Recommend proper sending with belt-sander (professional one with ongoing belt, not sheets) starting with grit 40 to get old finish off, then 80 grit which the sand-dust can be mixed with wood-filler to fill any gaps. Then grit 120 if you want to re-finish with oil or hardwaxoil, or grit 150 when you re-finish with varnish/lacquer.
 Alert Moderators
stevenbarich

from United States of America

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:01 pm Reply with quote

Hello,
Thank you for the recommendation. I was wondering: is a belt sander the best choice for my parquet floor, which is laid with the tile grain in two directions (pattern), 90 degrees from each other? I thought that using a belt sander in this instance will leave large grain scratches on half the tile in the room.

Best,
Steve
 Alert Moderators
WoodYouLike

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:37 am Reply with quote

finishing with 120 (or 150) grit will prevent most of this (as long as you use a professional sander, not one which has a metal bar that holds the sheet of sanding paper together, that might leave loads of marks).

Go horizontal first, then with same grit vertical. Repeat with other grits.
 Alert Moderators
Great-Uncle-Bulgaria

from Bulgaria

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 7:35 am Reply with quote

Hi WoodYouLike. I have recently used a HireTech HT8 belt sander (with the clamp bar). When you say it could leave loads of marks, does it look something like stripes? I have stripes that look almost like the effect you'd get from light streaming in through louvred blinds, although the floor appears completely level. icon_eek.gif In your opinion, what would be the best way to remove these marks? I have tried wire wool, but it's real hard work, and doesn't seem to make much of an impact. Do I need to sand again with an orbital sander? Time is real tight. Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.
 Alert Moderators
WoodYouLike

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 8:09 am Reply with quote

The HT8 is a drum sander, not a belt sander.
Best result to remove the shatter marks you have now is to hire a belt sander and sand with grit 80, followed with grit 120
 Alert Moderators
flutterbye

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:01 pm Reply with quote

Hi

Would a Trio Sander be just as good?
 Alert Moderators
WoodYouLike

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:37 am Reply with quote

For the final sanding, yes. For a first and second sanding on unfinished floors or to remove all of the shatter marks, no.
 Alert Moderators
nickdsjnk

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:55 am Reply with quote

I have no experience other than laying about 80m2 reclaimed parquet in my own house but I would say that a trio would be fine if all you need to do is remove the surface finish. A 40 grit on the trio machine removes material pretty fast (although not as fast as a belt sander) and is easier to use for a novice.
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Floors, Stairs and Lofts All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: