Best Method for Sanding Parquet Floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I hope this isn't too much of a repeat question, but I want to sand a parquet 7-finger mosaic tile floor that consists of two old, different colored/stained tile types, as well as a newly laid section of parquet (replacement for water damaged tile).

The room is 16x32 feet. Should I use a hand-held orbital sander? Should I look around for an industrial orbital sander? I have noticed some people go it by hand, some choose a more industrial approach (i.e., belt sander, etc.). I just want to sand the tiles enough to remove any prior finishes and then apply a new stain over the entire floor, in order to bring together the three multiple colors closer (I'm not expecting miracles, but ok...).

Since there isn't a problem with leveling, just with preparing the tiles by removing the older finish/sealers, what do the wise parquet gurus recommend?

Thank you in advance,
Steve

Sponsored Links
Any old finish had to come off completely otherwise you still end up with a patched floor.
Recommend proper sending with belt-sander (professional one with ongoing belt, not sheets) starting with grit 40 to get old finish off, then 80 grit which the sand-dust can be mixed with wood-filler to fill any gaps. Then grit 120 if you want to re-finish with oil or hardwaxoil, or grit 150 when you re-finish with varnish/lacquer.

Hello,
Thank you for the recommendation. I was wondering: is a belt sander the best choice for my parquet floor, which is laid with the tile grain in two directions (pattern), 90 degrees from each other? I thought that using a belt sander in this instance will leave large grain scratches on half the tile in the room.

Best,
Steve

finishing with 120 (or 150) grit will prevent most of this (as long as you use a professional sander, not one which has a metal bar that holds the sheet of sanding paper together, that might leave loads of marks).

Go horizontal first, then with same grit vertical. Repeat with other grits.

Sponsored Links
Hi WoodYouLike. I have recently used a HireTech HT8 belt sander (with the clamp bar). When you say it could leave loads of marks, does it look something like stripes? I have stripes that look almost like the effect you'd get from light streaming in through louvred blinds, although the floor appears completely level. :eek: In your opinion, what would be the best way to remove these marks? I have tried wire wool, but it's real hard work, and doesn't seem to make much of an impact. Do I need to sand again with an orbital sander? Time is real tight. Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

The HT8 is a drum sander, not a belt sander.
Best result to remove the shatter marks you have now is to hire a belt sander and sand with grit 80, followed with grit 120

For the final sanding, yes. For a first and second sanding on unfinished floors or to remove all of the shatter marks, no.

I have no experience other than laying about 80m2 reclaimed parquet in my own house but I would say that a trio would be fine if all you need to do is remove the surface finish. A 40 grit on the trio machine removes material pretty fast (although not as fast as a belt sander) and is easier to use for a novice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back