GAS SUPPLY PIPE SIZE FOR NEW BOILER

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I AM HAVING QUOTES FOR NEW BOILER AND THEY ARE ALL GIVING DIFFERENT INFO RE WHAT WILL BE REQUIRED TO REPLACE IT. ONE INSTALLER TOLD ME THE GAS SUPPLY ( PIPE SIZE) NEED UPGRADING FROM THE METER TO THE BOILER. IS THIS REALLY NECESSARY AND WHAT HAPPENS IF THE PIPES ARE NOT REPLACED. WILL I HAVE PROBLEMS IN THE FUTURE.
WHICH BOILER SHOULD I GO FOR?? WHICH ONE IS THE MOST RELIABLE ONE?

Sponsored Links
Even my 5 year old Niece knows you shouldn't write in capitals :rolleyes:

You should also be putting these questions to the guys quoting you. No one can say without seeing the job

My psychic powers can't work when you shoult like that!

Turn your caps lock off and post more details about your house, current set up and desired system when finished.

Sorry about the capitals.
It is a two bed flat on the 2nd floor. It has 8 normal size radiators, 1 shower room, 1 bathroom and the kitchen., No other gas appliances. The boiler I have at the moment is a combi boiler (Vaillant) approx 20 years old.

Sponsored Links
Where is the gas meter and how far is it from the meter to the boiler (running horizontally and vertically as a pipe would)? Do you know the existing size of the gas pipe (e.g. 22mm)?

The Gas meter is downstair in the entrance to the building and from the meter is running vertically up but I don't know where or how it enters the flat and to the boiler. THe current size I think is 15mm.

Well there's your answer. The pipe is too small at the moment, deinately too small for even the puniest boiler. Any self respecting CORGI would insist on changing the pipe.

This costs money.

If you had four quotes and only one mentioned it - then you know the other three are chancers.

Thanks for that. what happens if they would install the boiler to the existing pipe work. would I notice. Does it cause problems later on? Why do the other installers not reccommend the new pipes- is it cause they cant be bothered??

If gas is insufficient then HW performance will be poor!

Very unlikely that the whole run of the pipe is 15mm. That may be the size connecting to the boiler but it almost certainly enlarges back towards the meter. You won't tell us the distance from meter to boiler, but it might possibly be within the capacity of the existing pipe which after all already supplies a combi boiler.

Strange things with the posts here...

They can't fit a boiler on a pipe that is too small - it is dangerous. they havn't mentioned it because they are:

desperate for work,

don't know what they are doing

are not qualified

will give you a nasty surprise with the bill at the end

will give you a nasty surprise one day when you get home and find no house left

or more likley - all of the above.

does the boiler brake down easier? will it cause longterm problems.

chrishutt said:
Very unlikely that the whole run of the pipe is 15mm. That may be the size connecting to the boiler but it almost certainly enlarges back towards the meter. You won't tell us the distance from meter to boiler, but it might possibly be within the capacity of the existing pipe which after all already supplies a combi boiler.

In my experience i doubt it...

Which is based on a lot of dodgy 80's conversion in North London. Pipe leaves meter in 22mm, turns to 15mm as soonas a tee is needed then everything run from then on in 15mm or even picking up an old 1/2 inch gas line to the kitchen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back