I beam RSJ rendering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 9"x4" I beam which i would like to have rendered along with the rest of the garage. What is the best method of filling the side's up? is it recommended to morter in concrete blocks (as they fit perfectly) ? or is it a case of layer by layer to build it up with a 'chicken' mesh to hold it in?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Its hard to guess with a photo (scraches head, sucks through teath, drinks coffee)

i think block will be fine, then render as usual.

TIP: when you lay the block, make shure you lay the bed in a V shape with the most morter to the front of the RSJ and a little bit towards the back.. This will help the block to stand upright, as the mortar is pushed back when you lay it also stops morter between the rsj and the block keeping the wall flush.

pluss put mortar on the top of the block in a simular fassion this will reduce pointing, (pointing block makes rendering easy-er)

Post a photo when its blocked in.

Thanks, Rob.....

.......or you could hammer in very tight fitting timber noggings int the webs of the beam.

then fix some e.m.l. to the noggings wrapping it around the underside of the steel as you go. fix two layers as this helps the render stick.

do a scratch coat and a float coat.

what everyone else is thinking is, why don't you just board and skim it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back