Leaking radiator valve help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Just moved into a new flat and i found that one of the radiators has been leaking (and it looks like for while too). I will try and expla

On closer inspection i can see that water is coming out from the join underneath the nut on the thermostat and also some water is forming on the surface of the other valve (when the cap is removed). see pics.

I know nothing about sorting out radiators, so any help in what steps i should go about to fix this would be great. As far as i know this is the only leaky radiator. I've tried stop leaky pipe compound, but it did not work as the pipe was still leaking as i tried to fix it and the putty never dried.

thanks

Sponsored Links
You have to drain system and replace the faulty valves.

Its best to replace all the valves when drained and to refil with inhibitor.

Tony

Hi

Thanks for the reply - how would i go about draining the system? Would it require me going up in the loft to the water tank?

Thanks

Karim

Agile said:
You have to drain system and replace the faulty valves.
Or you can freeze, but you have to be confident that you can replace the valve in the window of opportunity.

Its best to replace all the valves when drained...
It's best to leave things alone until they go wrong.

z3usx said:
how would i go about draining the system?
Have you read the FAQ and Wiki, or searched the forum?

Would it require me going up in the loft to the water tank?
Yes - is there a problem in doing that?

Sponsored Links
Or you could tighten the nut on the trv (might not work though) and repack the gland on the lockshield.

2 minutes work, could last for years.

Hi

Thanks, i will try tigtening the nut on the TRV first but don't really understand what your mean "repack the gland on the lockshield" - whats the gland?

I don't think i have an expansion tank (no copper boiler thing) - any ideas on what type of central heating system i have. Will try having a look at the water tank tomorrow.

thanks for the help

CHange the trv? Why?
To expand on what Dan said, those nuts are often overtightened, in which case further turning does no good. Usual fix would be to replace the oplive on the pipe under the nut, or wind some ptfe tape round it. Both need the system to be drained or frozen or plugged up...

cool - well i see if it is easy to budge if not i'll leave it. Been searching how to drain radiator system, so need to find out what type of CHS i have.

Thanks for the help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back