Oil Combi Boiler Replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Gents,

I have a Pottertons Flowsure + Oil fired Combi boiler, unfortunately its junk it breaks down and leaks all the time.

So I need a replacement, firstly can I get another Combi or must I now buy a Condensing version.

Secondly what should I get? the choice seems fairly limited for oil, and whom should I get it from in Mid Hampshire?

Apologies in advance if I have missed the answers to this scenario in my searches.

Regards & Thanks
C

Sponsored Links
Yes your replacement boiler will need to be condensing.
I dont work with oil fired aplliances but Worcester are good, but I stand to be corrected by the resident OFTEC boys.

corsair said:
Gents,

I have a Pottertons Flowsure + Oil fired Combi boiler, unfortunately its junk it breaks down and leaks all the time.

So I need a replacement, firstly can I get another Combi or must I now buy a Condensing version.

Secondly what should I get? the choice seems fairly limited for oil, and whom should I get it from in Mid Hampshire?

Apologies in advance if I have missed the answers to this scenario in my searches.

Regards & Thanks
C

Just get yourself a standard oil boiler like a Grant or a Turco and hook it up to a cylinder of some sort. You'll never look back.
I have a Grant running trouble free for almost 9 years now without any servicing. Happy days. :D

If you want an oil combi, Grant Vortex or Worcester would be good.

Worcester were offering some of us 5yr warranties for a limited period on combi oilers, this runs out on 1 Sept.......

Sponsored Links
A regular condensing boiler and a separate cylinder would be most reliable but more costly to fit, if you go for the combi swap use the grant vortex as the worcester greenstar combi will be as bad as the potterton in years to come !.
Ring grant boilers and ask for details of approved service agents in your area, then invite a couple round to quote make sure anyone you employ has at least 10 years in the trade and then you will bypass the muppets oftec have let in over the last few years.
I hear from a reliable source in the trade that a warmflow is well built and cheaper than the grant, but have yet to fit one myself so do your own research on that one.

I don't know how you can be so adamant about the Worcester Oilers when their totally renewed range was only launched at the turn of the year.

It is unproven, yes, but to compare them to Potterton is a bit unfair. Potterton have had the last ten years of flakey products to base that opinion on.

Grant have made massive inroads into Worcester's oil business over the last few years, that is why some key installers have access to the 5yr warranty offer. 5yr warranties (end to end, parts and labour) are pretty much unheard of in the oil industry. Even to those who have 10 yrs experience :LOL:

Heating World would be worth looking at, then Grant, there are others, but I wold no longer recommend Worcester as they run their own service teams, which they term an advantage. However, your local guy will charge less (probably) and be round quicker (something you need with a combi) best thing is use a standard boiler and a cylinder.

Don't think a condensing boiler will save you money, IT WON'T!!!! But you have to fit one. :cry:

The statesman is fine I have lots of 10 year old ones that are no problem, only their combi (flow sure) is cr@p.
I went up to worcester to do the greenstar course , have worked on a few and hate them I do not think they will last well.
The 5 year warranty will not last as it will cost them to much, also there will be lots of small print I bet, have you ever tryed to get them to swap a leaking water jacket ?. The advice to the consumer to make sure he gets someone with at least 10 years expierence is sound, that way he should hopefully get a decent job done.

Heating world boilers work fine but the wall mounted is extremely heavy and a back breaker.

Consider installing an unvented cylinder and converting the boiler to a system boiler to give a reliable system with an immersion heater backup.

The basic boiler is OK its just the flowsure rubbish that causes problems.

The conversion back to a system boiler takes about half a day and about £80 in parts and normally entails removal of the thermal store, plate exchanger, diverter, blender etc, properly insulating the heat exchanger, replacing the pump valves, fitting a qaulity filling loop, fitting a new reliable pressure gauge, replacing the auto air vent, installing a new external expansion vessel, rewiring boiler (easy)

Gents,

Thanks for all the replies.

If I were to install a tank, I assume this could be co-located in the boiler cupboard and wouldn't require a loft tank?

Regards

C

Yes the cylinder is unvented and requires no loft tanks.

You could stick the cylinder above the boiler - just get a blacksmith to knock up some gallows brackets and bolt them to the wall with shield anchors or similar (relatively cheap).

JPH/01 said:
Ring grant boilers and ask for details of approved service agents in your area, then invite a couple round to quote make sure anyone you employ has at least 10 years in the trade and then you will bypass the muppets oftec have let in over the last few years.

Umm? Who are you calling a muppet :confused: Don't be fooled into thinking you are going to get a good job just because someone HAS been in the trade 10 years.

I hear from a reliable source in the trade that a warmflow is well built and cheaper than the grant, but have yet to fit one myself so do your own research on that one.

Their heat exchanger stainless steel is properly spec'd from what I understand.

Well done; oilman; Ive been installing and servicing oil appliances for 6 yrs now; might not get it right all the time,but are constantly updating my skills, training and product courses throughout the year :)

Although I have seen some real c--k ups; and they were supposed to have been installed or serviced by a well known and 'experienced' :LOL: :oops: :cry: company based in crawley!

I am on the Grant's approved service list; so I must of achieved some some thing :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back