advice needed on upvc door frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys, i am in the process of doing some work on my daughters old terraced house, there is a front porch which is of wood construction and formed along with the next door neighbours so taking it down is not an option, however tidying it up is, what i want to do is fit a second hand upvc door and frame into the outer part of the porch by fitting it into the existing timber framework and stiffening up that framework somewhat, however the one i have seen second hand the upvc frame has been cut at the corner, i believe the corner to be the oppossite side of the hinged side and at the top, so weakness wise it is probably in the right place, i know this is not ideal but my daugher has just started nursing and money is tight so dad has to do it all on the cheap, question is " is it a no go with the frame having been cut at the corner mentioned or could i or should i get the alluminium welded up any thoughts regards Dave :oops:

Sponsored Links
Don't waste your time and money buying something that is second hand and broken. Keep looking for what you want or phone around for a new door.

Andy

I agree with Andy about not spending money on a damaged door. But if it's a free it could be ok.

PVCu doors should have either galv steel or ali reinforcing inside the plastic extrusion. You will identify if it is reinforced by small screws all around the outside of the outer extrusion. These screws hold the reinforcing in place and stop it rattling. The PVCu extrusion is nearly always welded but many manufactures still use mechanically joints to hold the corners together. We used to do it when the window or door was too small or of a design that would not fit into the welder. In this instance L brackets were inserted into the extrusions outer profile grooves and fixed with self tapping crews or rivets into the internal reinforcing.
You could use this method to hold the frame together, but it is a bit of a fuss.
Hope this helps.
Steve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back