Advice on fixing uPVC window to steel lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
just wondering if any of the window guys had any tips as to what is the best way to fix the head of the window frame to a steel lintel?

Is it just a case of drilling through the frame and steel lintel with a HSS drill bit then drilling on into the brick with a masonry drill bit, then fix the frame in the normal manner with a masonry frame fixing screw or do you use a different fixing?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Was wondering if something like this maybe the answer, this would drill the lintel then fasten the frame to it.

image.php

http://www.timcouk.com/ProductGrp/Wing_Tip_Self_Drilling_Heavy_Section_Roofing_Screws

Cheers.

i just use spax fixings as you would on the rest of the frame- 6.5mm drill for this, lots of people will tell you that silicone is enough to hold it

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.

I see your point woody but the head of the frame is going to have to be fixed in some way as the window is 1800mm wide. Whilst foam could be used and may do the trick I think I would prefer to gamble on a couple of proper fixings.
I also have a set of french doors with side panels to fit that are 2600mm wide, theses will have to have good solid fixings at the head.

There is only 2 bricks on top of the lintel as it's a ground floor extension, I need to make sure these bricks aren't disturbed when fitting the windows / doors, that's why I was thinking of using the fixings shown as these would fasten to the lintel and save me having to drill deep into the bricks above it.

Cheers.

Hi,
I ended up fixing the head of the frame to the lintel with bay pole screws, these have a small drill type end like the screws in the picture above, they drilled into the lintel and screwed to it pretty easily and gave a good strong fixing.

Thanks for all the advice offered.

Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back