Building Regs / Planning Permission - Moving External Door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am planning to have my front door moved around 3-4 meters along the same external wall. The gap that remains will become a window.

I do not believe I need planning permission for this but please correct me if I am wrong.

I understand that replacement windows/doors can be installed by a 'competent person' which would satisfy the building regs requirement. However, given the new door will require structural work (totally new doorway, lintel etc.) rather than a simple re-fit of the door, would this require local authority building regs? Could the competent FENSA registered fitter 'sign it off' so to speak?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I have searched online and can't find a clear answer as most of the information out there talks about "fitting" new windows (i.e. existing hole) which is not the situation here.

Sponsored Links
in my personal opinion a FENA certificate is useless unless you are selling a house, and even in that case you can buy insurance t cover it.

As for the door... if you remove it.. you will need to put a lintel in its place BEFORE you remove the door frame.
(unless you want the entire wall to fall down)

I really think you should speak with a builder if you didn't know about the lintels.

The works are very unlikely to require planning permission unless your permitted development rights have been restricted or the house is listed or some other oddity http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/doorswindows/ . Building Approval ought to be sought as the work is structural, we assume the escape from the property will not be made worse as that would be bad. Seeing as BC approval would be applied for they would inspect the window installation anyway. If you were minded to stick two fingers up at such legalities then beware that seeing as it's the front door BC might come knocking (no pun intended).

Sponsored Links
As of Jan 2014 (I think), Fensa no longer allowed installers to certify these kind of jobs. They must now all be signed off through building control.

From Fensa
• The removal of Brickwork (e.g. conversion of windows to patio cut outs, door to window, window to door) are not considered replacement like for like products and should not be registered under a replacement window, door and roof light Competent Person scheme.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back