Can a flipper gasket be replaced with a bubble gasket?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have just moved into my house (which is 7 year old) and what I have found is that the windows are letting in lots of noise from outside.
The windows have currently got a flipper gasket on them, but I was wondering if I could change them for a bubble gasket? Would this make it more sound proof or would replacing them with new flipper gasket be the only choice and would it make any difference? The current gasket is pretty hard (not sure if it is suppose to be like this?).

Thanks

Matthew Arnold

Sponsored Links
you can get flipper bubble gasket and if they are hard and brittle then it seems they have perished, i came across this post while looking for bubble flipper gasket for one of my customers, try hdhardware.co.uk they have a good selection.
also check your windows are closing tight, if they are side openers/top openers you can get sash jammers or closing wedged which pull them in tighter.
if they are tilt and turn try adjusting the round cams on the sash with an alan key should help a bit.

As mrdemister is saying, what you can do depends on how the sashes are hinged. ie, type of hinge, butt, stormproof, cantilever, etc. Also depends if wood or ali. frames.

I take it you have wood, if so the flipper will have a leg which pushes into a groove in the frame. This groove is usually 3mm wide and 6.5mm deep.

Reddiseals http://www.reddiseals.com/seals.html will certainly have something that will suit. You can choose between, flexible flipper, compressible foam bubble or foam flipper and they also do silplex timber seals. There is a massive choice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back