Condensation in double glazing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I've recently received some advice here which was very helpful and I hope I can get advice again.

I noticed a couple of weeks ago that one of our double glazing windows has condensation between the glass. This unit is part of a very large window with several other units which have not been affected. My question is do I need to replace the glass, the unit or the full window which has 10 different units or will the condensation eventually evaporate? If the unit only needs to be replaced can anyone advise of how much it will cost approximately to fit a new one. Measurements are 870(W)mmx1290mm(H).

Many thanks. PL

Sponsored Links
You should be able to replace single panels, I had some 530x1510 made up for about £65 each and fitted them myself. I was quoted about £100 for someone to do it for me. It will vary depending on where you are.

If they are quite large it may be easier to get them repaired on site using speacial chemicals to get the condensation out. This is quite a newish repair but you can get up to a 20 year guarentee.

Sponsored Links
If they are quite large it may be easier to get them repaired on site using speacial chemicals to get the condensation out. This is quite a newish repair but you can get up to a 20 year guarentee.
Oh oh, please can you elaborate further on this seemingly little known effective process, for the benefit of the forum. This has been the subject of several threads over the years, is there now a reliable repair for DG units?

Oh dear oh dear, is this type of repair still doing the rounds :eek:

I'd just like to pick up on one thing, in the video the very last stage was explained with the text 'fit a vent/valve' for the dgu to breathe.......errr correct me if i'm wrong but aren't dgu's meant to be sealed so they DON'T breathe, if they breathe then they allow humid air in which in turn condenses on the coldest surface, usually the the inside of the outer pane.

Wonder how that crackpot is getting on drying his units out on the back lawn in all this sunshine we've had this summer :D

noooooooooooooooooo , don't try the repair!! just replace the "sealed" unit.

Well we shall see, we will be trialing one of these new kits very soon. So i will keep you boys updated

I have not used one of these yet, but some of you boys must have as you are all so confident that they do not work. So please tell why do don't work.

I have not used one of these yet, but some of you boys must have as you are all so confident that they do not work. So please tell why do don't work.

Well heres 2 reasons why i can't see it working

1/ A sealed unit is not sealed anymore if it has failed, the repair makes no attempt to fix the original air leak, its just a hole drilled through the glass to enable the chemicals to be squirted in, then its sealed with a sticker/vent...................no repair was made to the cause of failure so whats stopping it steaming again?

2/ Once failed the desicant will absorb as much moisture as it can then the unit steams up, the repair doesn't dry out the crystals, infact it saturates them even more.

if you allow a double glazed unit to vent to the outside, it will actually stay pretty clear. The outside air is generally colder than inside, so it holds less moisture. The air inside the glazing will expand and contract with temperature so it will pump out the excessively damp air in a few days.

In the days before safety glass sealed units I actually made some myself using this method. It is not often heard of now. There is only a tiny pinhole visible, the larger hole in the frame is stuffed with fibreglass to keep dust and insects out. In my current house I did that with the side-window to the front door frame, it's over 20 years now and works fine with no misting. If the glass is not safety glass you can make a pinhole with a diamond tip in a dremel, though there is always a risk you might crack it.

It is very important to seal the glazing from the moist indoor air, and to prevent rain getting into the breather vent.

In reply to crank, the chemicals will stop it misting up, i cannot see how they will put a guarentee on it for 20 years if it does not last 20 years. You watch you will be using it soon, all the insurance companies will demand it. saving costs on return visits, no glass to landfill.

In fairness, it looks like the resin is supposed to seal any failures in the seal, though how they can stick a 20yr guarantee on it seems dubious. What's to say that new seal won't fail, in time? I'd be gobsmacked if it really comes in much cheaper too. Let alone sealing up the holes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back