Cracks around downstairs window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning!

This is my first post so please bear with me - and apologies for the lack of technical terms! We moved into our 70s mid terrace home around 9 months ago. Back in October we noticed vertical cracks appear above our downstairs window and front door. We had a builder friend look at them and he said that they didn't seem to be anything to worry about. Over time, these seemed to look bigger on some days than others until around 2 weeks ago when we decided to fill them. Nothing seems to have changed with them since.

However, around the same time we also noticed a crack running along the top of the skirting board before rising up the wall at a bit of an angle towards the window. This is next to the radiator and behind a sofa, so I can't say for certain how long that's been there. Again we filled this and (touch wood!) it seems to have been unchanged since.

I've been a bit paranoid about these cracks and noticed yesterday that 4 bricks outside have small hairline cracks in them - 2 on the left underneath the window and 2 on the right underneath the window. Does this sound like something to worry about or am I being silly?

The window is uPVC bay style but is supported underneath by a vertical wooden beam that runs from the bottom of the window (in the middle) to the main brick wall of the house.

I should also mention that in a number of our rooms, there are fine hairline cracks running around where wall meets ceiling. The same builder also said these are nothing to worry about and that it's probably bad workmanship/poor plastering that's done it. We have had a couple of walls re-plastered since we moved in and none of these walls have cracks in them.

The previous owners were fans of a botch job (or 10) which has only come to light since we moved in. Our fear is that they have probably done a lot of this work themselves - including installing the windows and probably the plastering!

Please let me know if this is something to worry about or am I being crazy! Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Thank you for the tip, I'll order some of that for the inside cracks.

Do you think the cracked bricks outside are related/cause for concern?

I will try to post pics tonight.

Is that caulk applied in the same way as normal caulk and easy to paint over?

Sponsored Links
Yes just like normal caulk.
Personally I masking tape the edge of the frame (door or window) 1st, Caulk, Run my finger along it a few times in each direction, Then remove the tape for a clean straight edge

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back