Cracks around windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently moved into a property. Other day I noticed some crack around quite a few of the windows.

I have attached some pictures...

Don't most newer uPVC windows have an extra piece which sort of hides this area?

I am hoping that they are nothing to worry about and just from expansion/contraction of materials?

View media item 70306
View media item 70307

Sponsored Links
As you said shouldn't be a problem just a bit of expansion and contraction, Just re-seal it. If you use a decorator caulk you will be able to over paint it easily

Cheers, I also thought about getting some edging? I notice most upvc have an extra piece which sits perpendicular to the frame and covers these areas.

Anybody know what they are called?

They are called PVC trims and are mainly for fitters to lazy to plaster or fill holes when they do damage taking out the windows.

No need for them here, If you want a really neat job masking tape a straight edge across the window, Caulk it and run your finger over it a few times then paint it straight away and take off the tape.

Sponsored Links
Cheers Gaz,

I'll get some caulk tomorrow and give it a go!

I guess those plastic trims are for hiding the gaping holes sometimes left behind!

I used small plastic trims (20mm) around my windows, it hides this sort of inevitable issue, due to contraction / expansion.

A nice bead of silicon between the strip and the frame, and a bead of caulk between the strip and the wall, then paint does the job perfectly.

i think its better without the trims. plus if you trim one, youre better doing them all so they match

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back