Dismantle lock on PVC door with roller multipoint locking?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The lock on my rear door is a PVC type with four locking rollers - to lock or unlock the door you push up on the handle and turn the key.

Turning the key is getting very stiff and a bit 'crunchy' - I've dismantled and lubricated (with WD40) the handle and easily accessble lock sections and this has helped a fair bit, but it still doesn't feel 100% when turning the key.

So either the inner lock mechnism needs lubricating or replacing.

But how do I completely dismantle it?

I can see a metal strip all down the lock side of the door and a set of screws along the strip, but even with the screws removed it looks like the rollers would prevent the strip from being removed. How are the rollers removed?

Once the strip is removed is the lock mechanism easily removed? I'd like to lubricate it and also look for a model number.

The system is a Lockmaster.

Also, where can I find an exploded diagram of the whole mechanism and fitting?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Splendid, many thanks. :)

Bearing in mind that I haven't dismantled it yet, and just going by the outside appearance (with it all still in place) I think my lock mech is going to look like this:

http://shop.windowrepairshop.co.uk/...ockmaster-twin-spindle-4-roller-lock-35mm.jpg

So if I wanted to remove it do I just take off the handles and shaft and remove all the screws along the strip?

If so, does that all come out in one piece, metal edge strip, rollers and all?

Also, how would I remove the main cylinder lock, like this:

http://www.lockmaster.co.uk/mb-high-security-euro-cylinder-lock-7640-p.asp

Obviously it won't just slide out.

Cheers

OK! first off, only some of the screws in the external strip need come off to remove the locking assembly, there are videos online, I believe, that show this step by step, but trying, thinking it out and carefully watching are best by far, in my experience. Normally the screws fixing the strip to the door edge differ from the strip assembly ones, so have a good look and see if you can spot the difference.
The locking mechanism/euro cylinder don't require to be dismantled, but you can strip off the long remote operating arms for cleaning and such like...pinenot :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much, will have a hunt around YouTube.

However, just in case I can't find the relevant info ..... surely I need to remove the lock cylinder in order to pull out the main lock mech?

Edit: scrub that, I now see how to remove the cylinder:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpdvbdJD1Jo

:)

Oh yes, sorry if I misled, the euro cylinder lock is removed from the lock slot i.e. trough the door stile face(s) that then allows the pull out of the lock strip consisting of lock assembly plus the two remote operating arms...pinenot :)

No problem, appreciate your advice. :)

Given the 'crunchy' nature of the lock when I turn the key (now much better since applying WD40, but still not perfect) is that more likely to be a problem with the lock cylinder or the main lock mechanism?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back