Door Closer Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys

I need some advice on installing a door closer on a commercial metal door.

This is the door closer I bought from Screwfix:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/briton-1110-overhead-door-closer-silver/21234?_requestid=173580

Unfrotunately I can't get it to work, and I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or I have got the wrong door closer.

The main problem is that when I open the door the two arms of the closer kind hit each other thus stopping the closer from working and the door from opening.

I have attached some pictures of the door closer attached to the door.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Assume you've used the paper template for fixing it to the frame?

Also i think the hydraulics need to be under tension so to speak, i believe what you have to do is fit the arm 180 degrees out and then turn it to face the door and fix

think you need a tramson plate,was 1 in the box?
it will be an l shape flat piece of metal with 3 fixing holes for the big screws and 2 smaller holes for the plate on the arm.

Assume you've used the paper template for fixing it to the frame?

No unfortunately I have not, I originally left it up to my builder to do it thinking he knew what he was doing but I think the poor guy was not very familiar with door closers, he ended up saying this is not the correct type of closer for this door, mainly because of the distance between the door and the upper part of the door frame, do you think that could be the case?

Could you please explain the hydraulics bit?

Sponsored Links
think you need a tramson plate,was 1 in the box?
it will be an l shape flat piece of metal with 3 fixing holes for the big screws and 2 smaller holes for the plate on the arm.

There was a metal plate in the box, I had no idea what to do with it, how would resolve the problem?

there should also be some instructions in there aswel.
if not then try googling fitting door closures.

Looking at the frame I'd say that you will have to mount the closer on the transom - not enough space on the door itself.

Bearing in mind that if this is a fire door then you need to ensure compliance with any fire regs applicable to the building

Thanks everyone for your help.

I have now found the solution:

These kinds of doors have their own concealed closers and the one inside this door was broken so I called someone who came in and fixed it for around £180 which is not too bad.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back