Fitting a latch lock & escutcheon to a Fire Door?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all

I'm having Fire Doors fitted at a house I let out to students. Sometimes I get in students who don't know each other & would therefore want there individual bedroom doors to be lockable.

Is it possible to fit a standard 3 lever latch lock on a Fire Door? I'd finish it either side with an escutcheon.......but is it ok to do this as you will have a keyhole open through the door?

Sponsored Links
.......but is it ok to do this as you will have a keyhole open through the door?

Do you mean like they have in front doors of high rise flats? ;)

What you may has problems with, is means of escape if this is a HMO. Some student may think it a wheeze to lock his friend in the room while a fire rages. So make sure there are other routes

Last stdent accomodation I did there were mortise locks on all room doors, but with thumb turns on the inside.

Thanks for replies.

It is gonna be classed as a HMO standard property. It's a 3 bed 2 floor terraced house. I have thumb turn locks on the external UPVC doors, so you may be correct in the assumption that I'll need thumb turn locks on the individual bedroom doors.

Altho if I blank it off from the bedroom side (ie, don't allow them to lock it) but have an escutcheon on the hallway side.......would that get around the thumb turn requirement?

Any ideas were I can get thumb turn simple 3 lever locks from?

Sponsored Links
Altho if I blank it off from the bedroom side (ie, don't allow them to lock it) but have an escutcheon on the hallway side.......would that get around the thumb turn requirement?

Any ideas were I can get thumb turn simple 3 lever locks from?

You blank the insides with keyhole on the front the fire officer would close you down.
Think about what you just said.

You will not get 3lever locks with thumb turns.
Get a Euro cylinder mortise with euro Key/Thumb cylinder.
Google will get you local locksmiths or suppliers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back