Friction Hinges - Fitting and Type

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for some advice about window friction hinges - do specific friction hinges exist for wooden windows? I've bought some generic replacements and, aside from the mounting holes being in slightly different places, I'm wondering if they're strong enough.

Additionally, I fitted the (side-hung) hinges to the glass side in the same place as the originals came off (so the end of the hinge strip was just less than flush with the hinge side of the frame - just the tip of the locating point visible), but the window is difficult to close and is not sitting flush at the closing side bottom. I can't see any obvious interference - any ideas as to what to check or change? The new hinges are the same length but have one less link in the hinge and open in a different arc.

Sponsored Links
They are pretty much generic, Same for wood, PVC and Ali

Only things you need to watch for when buying new ones are:
Stack height (depth of the hinge) will be either 13mm or 17mm.
Side hung and top hung hinges are different.

Assuming you got those steps right its just a case of getting the fitting right.
Its very rare to have the new fixing hole match up to the old ones.

As a general rule you just fit them with the same amount of overhang at the end of the sash (sounds like this is what you have done) and then just adjust as necessary, Ideally you want about a 3-4mm gap between the closing edge and the locking keeps on the frame.

Thanks very much - length and stack height are correct, but i think I may have the glazed part fractionally too close to the hinge end, which is putting compression along the joints of the hinge as it tries to close.

I initially reused the original dome-headed screws, but one was catching on the plastic band on the hinge arm, also stopping it closing.

Re the 3-4mm gap - these are side hung - do you mean front to back as you face the window or left to right?

Thanks again.

As you close the window, Not fully closed just to where the internal edge is in line with the locking keeps on the frame and you can still see them and judge the gap, That is where you want a 3-4mm gap.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Problem was the outer edge of the sash rubbing on the frame when closing, seems to have been a build up of varnish/stain where the worn hinges weren't pulling the sash in tightly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back