Guide price on a sealed unit, please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have to replace a Double Glazed Sealed Unit on a friend's back door.
I would like a guide price as to the glass, if anyone's a clue.

It's the Top half of a uPVC back door.
I assume doors have to use 4mm Toughened glass.
1095 x 745mm x 24mm thick.
Though not the exact size, I'll obviously measure carefully before ordering it.
Do I take a 'tight fit' size and deduct 10mm to cater for the supports and a bit of slack... and is that off both dimensions or is the width less of a deduction.

In fact, is the height or width the first measure when quoting size.

Are seals typically re-used or renewed?

Other than a scraper, white rubber mallet, washing-up liquid [ if the seal is the slip-in kind ] and some patience - do I need anything else?

Ooh! Gloves too!!!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Height and width is only relevant if the glass is patterned and therefore has a 'grain' or other design that needs the correct orientation. Allowance of 5mm (so 10mm overall) all round should be about right for expansion gap etc.

The toughening process (necessary for glazing in doors) adds significantly to the cost so make sure your friend is sitting down when you tell him how much. I had 2 single panes toughened last year - can't remember the total price but I needed a stiff drink afterwards!

Thanks!

I know prices vary country wide and according to how much of a regular customer folks are, but just didn't want to be presented with £80 when £40 or £50 was the going rate.

Sponsored Links
As God says about £50, as for measuring - as you say, bead joint to joint and deduct 10mm for both width and height and as mentioned if its not patterned then it doesn't matter but if it is then give width first then height

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back