Has window dropped?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mate of mine has a uPVC bathroom window which opens such that the bottom swings out, so 2 friction hinges - one on each side, and the locking mechanism on the bottom.

When closing the window, the mushrooms of the lock are touching the frame on the left and right, but not the middle. It seems to seal the drafts ok when closed.

The handle and lock is broken as forced too many times. It was really stiff up to it's last successful use
The hinges seem sound, there is no wobble/movement evident, however glass is heavy, of course....

I have no issue changing the lock.

Am I likely to find that corrosion / dirt in the sliding part of the mechanism is what's forcing the mushrooms to touch [ maybe forcing has bent that a little too ], or is it more likely that the hinges are 'sagging' somehow.

Sponsored Links
Do the mitred corners of the opener line up with the mitres of the frame when closed?

If not, then the hinges might need adjusting (some have elongated mounting holes so some adjustment might be possible) or they might have worn and need replacing, which is relatively easy.

Hmmm!

I'll get me chubby butt over there and have a look-see. I know the apexes of hinges to the tops of the frame are snug - but access to see the sides of the opener [ which I assume is the term for the moving piece of glass ] will take a ladder and efforts not to put my feet through the porch roof underneath.

I did use a mirror and it looked ok to the Tops, but given there's no natural 'stop' for that part of the hinge, it could have moved. It appears to have 3 fixing points, 2 slotted and 1 circular.

Thanks for the input.... I'll do the locking mech' first - hopefully can do that from inside with a bit of reaching and a lot of swearing!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back