how do I adjust these hinges?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my UPVC back door does not seal. When you look from outside, the door is not pulling tight onto the frame on the hinge side. I need to draw the door tighter into the frame, but I'm not clear how to do it with the hinges shown on the attached photos.

The hinges are fitted into the UPVC profile on the door, so there's no scope there that I can see.

Any advice?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
is there any fitments along the hinge side on the door or frame

Take the caps off the tops and bottoms of the hinges where it attaches to the frame, Prize them out with a Stanley knife.
If there is an Allen screw head you can turn them to adjust, You will need to slacked off the small grub screw on the inside of the hinge (the little brass one you see when the door is open) and re tighten it once adjusted

thanks for the replies.
there is an allen bolt in the top of the frame side hinge under the cover, but this only seems to move the hinge up and down.

is that right?

what does the little grub screw do?

Sponsored Links
There is usually no up and down adjustment on that type of hinge.

The pins with the Allen key slot should be oval in shape, When you turn them it should rotate the hinge in and out in all directions by 2-3mm. The grub screw holds the pin tight and stops it from turning.

Turn it until its closer to the frame and then tighten the grub screw to keep it there.

right-oh, i'll double check.

I'm fairly sure there's up and down movement. On the second photo you can see that there's a back plate on the hinge. you can see that there's a 3-4mm gap between the plate and the body of the hinge. I'm fairly sure that the main allen bolt jacks the hing up and down.

As I say, i'll double check.

Thanks again for your replies

Some hinges go up/down in/out and side to side all by turning the one adjuster, Its just up and down is not normally on your style of butt hinges

i've done some research on these hinges and they appear to be mila ideal rebate hinges, which do adjust up and down, and laterally, but not in/out of the frame.

I'm at a loss, except to put it down to poor manufacturing??

Any other ideas?

Thank you all for your help so far.

mmm unusual.

The Ideal hinge seems to be a flag hinge for what I could see.

It looks like the Pendulum Rebated Butt Hinge here:
http://www.mila.co.uk/Portals/0/pdf/door_hinges.pdf

The diagram on that link just shows a straight pin with no Allen key head, Is there a allen thread both top and bottom of the hinges or just the top or bottom?
Im just wondering if you can take the middle pin out to see if it is oval it shape, Normally you take out the grub screw and tap the pin up and out from underneath but if they both have heads you may have to unscrew/prize them out.

it's similar to the hinge you mention, but not the same.

When you take the top cap off the hinges there are two elements.

Nearest the door frame is the allen bolt, which essentially jacks the door up against a plate that is screwed to the frame.

Further out from the frame is the hinge pin, which is blind-headed top and bottom, and appears to be cylindrical (not oval).

The rebated door section also differs, in that it is fastened with 3 screws directly into (in line with) the door, and 2 further screws at 45 degrees.

The more I look at it - it seems like an impossible task, and that it is poorly manufactured.

Is there a standard tolerance on such doors? i.e. how much smaller would you expect the door to be than the hole??

Thank you

Sorry don't think I can help on this one then.
Is the door under 10 years old and are the people who fitted it still trading? Maybe you could get them to come and do something under their garentee.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back