How to remove door bolt at bottom of door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My balcony window has 2 doors. They each have a security bolt at the top and at the bottom.

The one at the bottom of the left door no longer works when I turn the lock key. How do I remove the bolt to put a new one in? The door is stuck so I can not see how to access the bolt.

Sponsored Links
take the door off.

Buy a new mortice rack bolt before you start so you can understand how it goes in

If the retaining spring is pushed back with a key or other tool, the bolt can move in and out if you can touch it. A thin knife may do.

take the door off.

Buy a new mortice rack bolt before you start so you can understand how it goes in

If the retaining spring is pushed back with a key or other tool, the bolt can move in and out if you can touch it. A thin knife may do.
Hows he to remove the door if locked shut?

Does it have a splined key?

I'm guessing that the bolt has fallen down. In that case, you can often wiggle a thin knife under the door at each side of the bolt and inch it up (if not, a hacksaw blade will cut it off). When the bolt at the top fails, it often falls down into the door

probably either the teeth on the bolt, or the splines on the key, or both, are worn away. But maybe a new key with sharp splines would work for long enough to get the door open.

presumably we are talking about these
http://www.screwfix.com/p/rack-bolts-key-pair/49530

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back