how to stop passers-by peeping in?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hallo all,

upvc windows were installed last year. i was so happy lot more light came in BUT my window is very low and everyone passing by oggles in - i hate it so i have the curtains drawn most of the time.

i thought i can get some sort of film to cover the window with that will allow me to see out but not allow the ogglers to peer in. is there such a thing? cars have smokey windows dont they? i need no more than a sq.m. of such a film - or do i have to replace the whole window?

assistance appreciated.

karaman

Sponsored Links
Reflective films are available, and as you say smokey. I have venetian blinds, used the correct way you can see out and have all the light and outside cannot see inside.

ER... isn't this what net curtains were invented for?
net curtains ? YUK.
You must be from Lancashire.
You can get an opaque film [lets the light in but not the prying eyes]to fit on the glass or use a spray [but requires more skill]

Sponsored Links
Go outside and have a look in and see if you can actually see anything, as most double glazing is hard to see into unless you put the lights on

Films are depressing as when you look out through them it always looks like a gloomy grey Sunday

Check from outside as Woody said. You will find that you can only see into an area lighter than the one you’re viewing from so, during daylight, although you can see out quiet clearly it’s unlikely much of the interior of your house is visible from outside. Leave curtains open at night with a light on & the opposite is true; you won’t see anything outside from a lit room but everything will be on display from outside.

Why worry about it anyway!

hallo all,

thank you for all replies - alarm: i dont like venetians, have considered those.
woody : have checked from outside and what richard c says is right, cant really see in BUT its psyhologic/pchycologi cant spell that -- its in my head that everyone can see in even through my net curtains.

so it will either be opaque film or reflective film. thanks to all.

karaman

Yukkie :D

Mine are horizontal and in a nice light oak finish. Open when I like and closed or half way at others.

I bet you get sick of the reflective film after a while.
What is also popular here is that opaque glass, fitted to the lower sash only, now that is nice. Or go for the dogs and get that "electro" Glass. Clear when you want, press a button and its solid. Well smart!!!

If it's a psychological thing then a reflective film isn't going to help you.

If you can see out then you'll still think that everyone can see in.

dont see why i should see a pshychi....st, it hasn't helped you any, has it?

topic finished, have all the answers i needed. many thanks to helpers.

karaman

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back