How to use interior frame silicone sealant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here's hoping this is an easy question!

The last job in the latest project is to fill the gap between the wall and the windows (uPVC). I removed most of the sealant when I removed the wallpaper - the windows are a newer addition than the wallpaper and Anglian-sodding-windows put frame sealant over the top of the wallpaper.

Anyway, there remains a small gap and I thought it'd be a quick job before dinner.

For some daft reason I thought I'd read the instructions. It tells me to use masking tape and (shock!!!!) "do not use a wetted finger". I thought I'd apply it in much the same way I would caulk???

What we have is "home base Exterior and interior frame silicone sealant". I must admit I'm a bit of a snob about homemade products, but the husband picked it up, it is at least white as requested and I'm sure it doesn't really matter.

So do I really need to follow the instructions? I don't use masking tape to paint, do I really need I for sealant?

Sponsored Links
no not really,but it depends on how steady you are when you do the run,when i use any kind of sealant i cut the nossle at about 45 degrees and then when the run is complete if i have to will just wet my finger and run it down gently.

If it's between plaster and the frame I prefer to use polyfilla rather than silicone as you can paint right up to the frame and less likely to go mouldy

Sponsored Links
Thanks everyone, I appreciate your advice.

I did use masking tape in the end, and I'm happy with the result, it looks fairly neat. Also, a wet dinner knife gave a nice finish without having to lick my fingers (which invariably results in me eating the stuff).

I think if I had the same situation again I'd consider using something different, doing it first and then painting over it. Though hopefully I won't have to worry - this room was wallpaper-tastic. The others "only" have feature walls and such like.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back