Installing UPVC Bi Fold Patio Doors - Size Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm taking an existing window out and removing the section of wall underneath.

I've got some patio doors 2300 high, however the opening that will be created is 2370 high.

What are my options to make up this difference?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Cut timber to size either on top and bottom, top only or bottom only then cover it with upvc mouldings

Cheers

Will that be ok for a solid wall?

Will it be secure enough to fix the frame to?

Will we becable to render over the timber to form a bell cast?

Thanks

You will need to make the difference up at the head since I'm guessing the bottom will be around floor level and bringing this up will just creae an unwanted step.

Also be careful if there is no lintel already aove the window as in old houses these were sometimes not fitted.

fit the timber to the head of the opening and then fit the doors and fix to the timber. Pack of the timber where necessary before fixing to ensure the patio door top stays level and does not pull out of square when you fix it.

Sponsored Links
Cheers Carl

There's a steel lintel above the exising window, so I'll drill the lintel adn timber then fix with bolts - the head of the doors can then be fixed to the timber at the top and brickwork at sides and bottom. It can ve finished on the outside with render - reforming the bell cast and on the inside if required with upvc rchitrave.

Is this right?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back