Jammed UPVC window lock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, was looking for any advice on the best way to manipulate the opening of a jammed UPVC window lock.

Having taken a good look at it, the handle is still operating the middle lock and top slide mushroom as I can flex the window outwards a few mill at those points when the handle is in the open position so reckon the bottom mushroom bolt is either seized or jammed.

I have removed the handle and applied WD40 down the frame and screw holes to see if that helped in case the mechanism was seized but that doesn't seem to be doing anything.

Any help or advice gratefully appreciated.

Best & thanks

S

Sponsored Links
Try and slip an old blunt table knife in the gap and tap it along with a hammer to try and move the mushroom perhaps?

Thanks Footprints, managed to get a flat head screwdriver into the gap at the bottom of the window then manoeuvred it up until it hit the mushroom and sprung it up...hey, presto - window open!

Now it's open, I can see that when I close the handle the bottom mushroom and lever bar go down, but don't retract when I open it so reckon something must have slipped in the internal mechanism.

It's an upstairs window so might be tricky getting the locking strip off but will have a go tomorrow.

Can anyone help with advice on the order of things when removing the strip in case I knacker it when I do that?

I'm imagining it would be: handle, middle lock, mushrooms, screws but worry if I get it wrong it would be torture trying to re-assemble it with the levers involved??

Looks like btm corner is broken, try to take out and match with new parts online, just google it

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back