Lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i wonder if anyone can give me a bit of information

I am currently refurbishing a house i purchased 1 year ago, i have noticed my patio double glazed window starting to stick, i then investigated the problem a bit further, after chipping away the render i can not see a Lintel above the window it looks like the registered installer has just inserted the window, and used the existing brickwork as a lintel then cemented it in place, the company that fitted them are still in business and i have the original paperwork when it was installed that was on the 10/08/2008, would i have any redress against the company for fitting a window without a compliant Lintel, at this stage i don’t want building control involved or to get into a legal battle without some advise first, thanks in advance if anyone can help

Crabman

Sponsored Links
We assume it was a Fensa fitter? Firstly the window was fitted by the owner before you and unless that guarantee has been transferred to you then you do not have a contract with the fitter, the previous occupant did so no redress.

Furthermore in order to get any redress from the fitter you would have had to prove they did not undertake their obligation to investigate whether a new lintel were required or not. This alone is not simple and would likely cost more than the cost of fitting a intel now. In anycase the fitter would still not be obliged to supply and fit a lintel at their cost as they never had a responsibility to fit one only to inform you.

So, to summarise, if they were a Fensa fitter, the guarantee has been transferred to you and you can prove they should have informed the homeowner at the time a lintel was required then maybe you could get some funds to repair the cracks/repair/replace the window as necessary, but you would still have to supply and fit the lintel at your own expense.

Really myself, I would not bother pursuing it. And no, I’m not a window fitter.

thanks for your reply, your right i may as well fit one myself as soon as the weather is better i will take out the window and do the job, your reply was clear and intelligent.

crabman

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back