New DG and plastered recesses - should I silicone the join?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

We've recently had new double glazing installed, and I've subsequently plastered all the recesses up to the new DG units.

I've done (in my opinion) a good job in plastering a nice smooth edge up to the windows and it all looks tidy. It's sufficiently good that I could probably just decorate the wall as it is and it'll look fine.

However, I'm wondering whether I should run a small bead of silicone in the join between the plaster and the double glazing to mask any small cracks that might appear from expansion/contraction of the DG frame against the wall?

Is that standard practice or an unnecessary step?

Thanks!
Andy

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Caulk is the way forward, apply some masking tape along where your sealing so you get a nice straight line, pull tape off soon as you've caulked it, apply the masking tape again up to the same line when painting, paint over the caulk that will then leave you a nice neat line

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back