New windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had new D. Glazing windows installed by a big yorkshire based company ( SS UK ) I have asked for top openers with a lead diamond design , the problem is the lead is kind of sticky looking on the window tops ( ie. it does'nt look clean) , yet on the composite door and toplight it is clean and looks good.

Question- is there summat I can use to clean these sticky deposits from the lead myself or shall I phone the manufacturrers to sort it.

TBH it looks like the people who fit the lead to the windows have touched it with their adhesive soiled fingers. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Patination Oil ... google it,

Developed specifically for the Lead Sheet industry, Patination Oil is a white spirit based liquid that helps prevent white carbonate (that can occur on newly fitted Lead) from staining adjacent materials and provides a pleasing finish to new Leadwork

Ideal for use on Lead roofing, flashings and cladding to give a uniform, attractive appearance where Lead Sheet is visible or where water flowing away from the Lead Sheet surface may come into contact with other visible building materials.

No no ,, I mean the lead is new yet looks like it has been touched by someone with dirty sticky hands and it shows clearly.

The lead on the door is clear and maybe could do with the protection you mention.

I am asking how to get rid of the marks ie. sticky gluey marks on the lead on the window tops.

googled it but can't seem to find anyone thats dealt with or has had similar issues :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
It's shiny new lead ( well it's supposed to be anyway ) wo'nt the wire wool give it a matt look , it'll take the stains off but like i said it will also take the shine off :rolleyes:

I think I'll just have to ring them and they will replace the tops as they have done already once, for the same reason ffs :eek:

I am getting fed up with it now tbh.

wire wool with patination oil would be my choice but like you say they are new windows so get them replaced again till youre satisfied trust me its free fitting !

Yes thats what I'll do the company so far has tried its best, but maybe the staff doing the work is not doing the job with care , which I will point out to them in due course. :D

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back