Non Standard door size - OK to chop 8cm off height/6cm width

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I've got 4 non standard doors to replace. Not possible to change the frame to enlarge and use standard doors, so need to find a door that can fit.

They are all 1900 * 710.

Wickes sell a standard size door, 1981x762mm, but they say I can only take off 12mm in width and 12mm in height,

http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/207590/?source=123_75.

Is it advisable to buy the door and take off 3cm from each size? Will this give me problems when it comes to getting the hinges to screw in and the latch?

What are my alternatives if I decide not to bodge?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Comments on their web site seems to imply that these doors aren't sold timber - if that is the case then 12mm is the maximum you can remove because beyond that you'll be cutting into (probably) chipboard core (whicg won't hold screws, hinges, etc). If, on the other hand I've got that wrong and the doors are solid pine all the way through you could take 30mm off all round and hang them without any problems, although aesthetically they will look a bit odd with such reduced stiles and rails.

Personally I think the options for a good looking door (assuming that you can't get one in the size you need, 1900 x 710mm) are to either get doors made to fit, or go for a hardwood-lipped flush 30 minute fire door with a solid core. At least with one of those you can reduce the size considerably then make good by applying a 6mm hardwood lipping. The only other possibility is that you might be able to find a near fit in an architectural salvage yard and trim to fit. Probably not what you wanted to read, but there it is.

Thanks JobandKnock.

Yeh I dont think its solid, especially at that price..

I'll look into the hardwood lipped option although was hoping for the panel effect finish..

Cheers.

solid wood doors are ok to chop as much as you want off them.

but non solid doors you cant because some you will find are actually not solid at all... they are a wooden frame around the edge, then chipboard in the centre then veneered with real wood to look like solid wood.

Sponsored Links
28" doors are available [711mm] then you would only have the height to cut back, or reduce door lining width to take a 27" door.

28" doors are available [711mm] then you would only have the height to cut back, or reduce door lining width to take a 27" door.
Go on then, where's that? My supplies round her don't stock 2ft 4in doors, only 2ft 3in and 2ft 6in, presumably because they're standard EJMA widths

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back