open door with lost keys to 5 lever mortise lock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently, I moved in to a house that had no keys to the back door which was fitted with a 5 lever mortise lock.
I was given lots of advice on how to open the door, such as calling out a locksmith, sawing off the lock bolt, kicking down the door etc, most of which were expensive or impractical.
Here is how I eventually resolved the problem quite easily.
Using an old cross-head screwdriver and a hammer, I pushed the hinge pins from the bottom upwards until the pin popped out. I repeated the process on all 3 hinges. I found the door was stuck in the frame, so went outside and pushed the door inwards on the hinged side. The door eventually came away from the frame.
The mortise lock could then easily be removed and a new one (identical in size) purchased. This cost £30 from B&Q for a quality Yale lock.
As the hinges were quite old, I purchased new hinges at the same time which cost less than £4.
Just a matter of fitting the new lock and hinges and rehanging the door. I'm not experienced at DIY but managed this easily in less than an hour, for under £35 and with tools that most people will have already. :D

Sponsored Links
When I'm wearing my striped jumper and black mask, I cut the lock tongue off with a 1mm slitting disc in an angle grinder, often enough.
So long as you can work from the inside, of course!
John :)

Should have posted here you would have received solution easily. ;) if you had removable hinge pins in external door then they were incorrect type.Hope you replaced with correct type.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back