Pine Stile & Rail internal door, 10mm lip - realistic tr

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Could anyone offer some honest advice please? I plan to replace 5 internal doors with Howdens Pine Stile & Rail internal door with 10mm lipping (not veneered).

http://www.howdens.com/pdf/product/1326.pdf

The height of the door frame for two of them is 1959mm, my replacement doors are standard 1981mm, so allowing for a 2mm gap top & bottom, I am looking to have to trim off at least 26mm in total, 13mm each end. The manufacturer recommendation is to trim mo more than 12mm in total.

I understand that the manufacturer specify these amounts to protect themselves concerning their guarantees, and I understand that in trimming too much off I run the risk of weakening the structure of the door.

But, in view of the fact that I am trimming from the top & bottom only, putting the strict guidelines aside for a mo, is it really that much of a risk ?

My alternative is to get hardwood veneer door from Magnet that have 19mm lipping, which I am assuming would be fine so far as the trimming is concerned, it's just that they dont actually look as nice as the Howdens, are more expensive, and would have to be primed & painted, whereas the Howdens are pre-primed.

So i'd really like to go with the Howdens if you guys think the trimming is generally ok, despite the guidelines?

Any help gratefully appreciated!

(ps. wont be doing the work myself, would get a chippie if anyone fancies the work...)

Sponsored Links
I went into Howdens this afternoon to take a look at the doors & the guy in there said that although there is only a 10mm lipping, there will be a 'wood block strip' after that, before you start geting to the chipboard/MDF part of the door, so this prompts another question :

Whats the point of the lipping? And if it seems to be ok for me to remove 13mm from both the top & bottom of the door, which would mean I am removing all of the lipping, would I be ok with a door without lipping, bearing in mind that I am going to paint these doors?

Cheers

Steve

i would expect there to be a minimum 3mm more than they say you should cut off

why not go for 12 on top and 14 underneath and see what you get providing its internal i cat see a problem

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back