Relacing Back door, Brick opening is odd size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

So I want to replace the back door and frame as its wooden and has seen better days.

The brick opening is 840(W)mm x 2050(H)mm - but the smallest off-the- shelf frame I can find is 850(W)mm.

Any advice? I dont really want to fork out for a made to measure job.

The Last door and frame I installed came from Wickes and it went reasonably well. Maybe do the same again but cut 5mm of the side of the frame?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
All doors and windows from any respectable suppliers are made to measure. Its only the likes of B&Q etc who stock doors. So ditch that philosophy cos its pointless.

You can still DIY but buying off the shelf (as you have found) you just limit your choice. You can lead a horse to water .........

Sponsored Links
Hi Freddy, I know the choice is limited, I'm just wondering what peoples advice might be other than buying made to measure.

Could I get away with planing 5mm or so off the exterior width of the door frame for example?

Why would you buy a door that don't fit when you could buy a made to measure for the same price and yes you can plane the ribs off the door which will give you 5 mm

Technically all you could really get away with is cutting the ribs off the side, if you do both sides you could gain 10-15mm but its a shame to have to start hacking at a new door, my experience of B&Q type doors is limited but i would imagine they are the cheapest of the cheaper profile, probably mechanically jointed midrail, cheap MPL and 24mm units

Don't know the style or how much the door in question is but a you can get a supply only door made to measure with a raised panel in the bottom, obscure toughened in the top for £300, for that price i wouldn't even entertain B&Q or Wickes

Thanks for your replies.

I will look further into the made to measure option.

Any suggestions for reputable suppliers of pre-hung made to measure doors? I'n located in the south-west.

Thanks again all.

Off the shelf hardwood frame 838mm X 1981 or 813mm X 2032 with reversible sill. Choice of matching doors.
Selco branch Bristol BS3 4SZ .

We're based in Bristol, can supply a upvc door if that's what you require for around £280,
We use the REHAU S706 system. Message me if you require any further info.

i supply made to measure doors and the like, and bnq etc get on my wicke :D they are poor quality in my opinion, and if you shop around you will find a way better deal at frame companies, some will try and give you the big sell but get a few quotes and look at the product, if i remember correct you price the door, cill, add-ons and handles seperately at bnq, they dont have as many hinges, glazing is thinner, and are generally crap IMO. do they deliver the doors either? worth a shop round

Just a thought, if a diyer buys a door/window from wickes/b&q and fits themselves, how is the installation certified, I take it the buyer has to put it through building regs to comply??? £120 fee!!!!

Maybe not, if the door is less than 50% glass it does not need to comply

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back