removing upvc door and frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all (great forum)

I am trying to remove upvc doors and frame from the back of the house (house is 3 years old). I've taken off the doors and removed the hinges. I cannot see where the screws are to remove from the framework. I'm assuming that the frame is connected to another frame next to the brickwork, but the frame is not for budging at all. tried brute force but don't want to break the frame

help?

Thanks guys

Sponsored Links
Any pics, probably a cover strip running full length hiding fixings, unless it was just foamed in.

If its quite a new house more than likely using fixing cleats which can be a right pig to get out but they are used for speed of fitting.
Basically its a strip of metal that clips onto the outer edge of the frame and screwed to the wall before the plasterboard goes up.
best bet is to remove all of the silicon around the frame and using a crow bar try to see how it is fitted.
If there is enough room you might be able to pop the cleats off.

As Forest says, most likely galv straps or nailing plates behind the dry lining. Done quite a few of these and it can be real messy. Best way i've found is using the 9" whizzer up the inside (try to put a dust barrier in the hallway) and just a few minutes work should do the job. Any raggy edge on the plasterwork can be trimmed up after fitting the new door with a d-mould or similar.

Sponsored Links
House is 3 years old...........it'll be on cleats :evil:

No screws visible...............it'll be on cleats :evil:

Pain in the arse, done for speed, usually by the time you realise it you've already lost the plaster :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Prefer the ones with little teeth that slide and lock over the cavity closer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back