Replacement Windows & Building Regulations - Saftey/Esca

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having some old wooden bedroom windows replaced with new upvc ones next week. The existing windows are 50/50 split double top openers (see photo below) and i've asked that the replacements are the same so that they're in fitting with the others. Anyhow the fitter just called me confirming he would be coming out tomorrow to measure up. He's also just mentioned that the replacement windows i want would not meet building regs as it would cause problems with 'means to escape'. He's suggested i go for side openers instead but this would leave the new windows looking out of place in comparison to the others.

Most of the neighbours have already had their windows replaced with like for like (ie: 50/50 top openers). Have building regs changed recently or is my window fitter miss-informed? I've had a look about online but could only find the following which doesnt suggest what he's saying is correct.

www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/doorswindows

Sponsored Links
the law is that you cannot make the situation any worse so like for like is acceptable i would however always try and improve the situation if poss by installing a means of escape

Sponsored Links
thanks for the confirmation, ill print off that build regs document and show it do the fitter when he gets here ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back