Screws for door hinges just spinning. How to fix?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had all the doors off upstairs while i painted the frames. That's been done now & it's come time to put them back on.

Just started with the bathroom & out of 6 screws, 5 of them just keep spinning. Had this issue with some of the other ones too.

I don't want to just ASSUME the best way to fix which is why i am coming here to ask you guys.

I was thinking stuffing the screw holes with something like matchsticks & wood glue & then re-screwing into that. Don't know if that's a good or bad idea.

So how should i go about it so that they don't continuously spin?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Or, more elegant than matchsticks, drill out the holes and tap in some close-fitting dowel with a little woodglue. Drill pilot holes for your screws.

Next time consider lift-off hinges.

Sponsored Links
Thanks.

Being not very good at DIY i didn't want to just jump in with both feet & make a mistake & then not be able to get the door back on :LOL:

The screws currently in use - i'm not at the house at the moment so don't have the measurement but they seem quite short to me (mostly).

Longer screws seems like the easiest solution i guess, but will there likely be enough frame for it to sink in? Obviously we're not talking buying 2ft screws or anything but they're not likely to protrude beyond the hinge are they?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back