Sealing around UPVC Windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just wondering if you can help me.

I am looking to draught proof my UPVC windows before the temperature plummets and noticed last winter when it was windy I could hear the wind blowing in around gaps in the frame. Also, I have noticed that the windows are not very sound-proof and I can hear footsteps when someone is walking outside the windows. Does this mean that the windows were not sealed properly when they were installed and no expanding foams was used. It was sealed on the inside between the frame and strip with silicone that was partly falling out and came out in one long piece.

Should I remove the plastic trim to take a look? What is the best way of sealing the windows on the inside? Should I look at doing anything on the outside?

Sorry for all the questions! A link to the image can be seen here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/jatwil...&authkey=Gv1sRgCM-UvsOKvvO9Ag&feat=directlink

Thanks in advance for any advice.

James

Sponsored Links
I'm no expert, but I would take the trim off and have a look at whats behind and fill with expanding foam if its a big gap or silicone if its smaller.
Beforehand I would open the window fully and tighten up any fixings to make sure the window isn't moving any. I always tighten the fixings on my door as the kids are always slamming it shut and it gets loose.
As I say I'm no expert so see what the other guys say.

take the trims off and have a look i'll bet there is nothing behind this is typical im afraid of the type of poor window fitting nowadays. hack the window out bang the new one in and cover all the gaps with architraves seems to be the acceptable norm to be honest its not even a neat rush job so take these trims off clean it all up and seal it all properly then refit trims if you really want to or plaster the reveals for a tidier job but do check on the fixings too

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back