Second hand bi fold doors

Sponsored Links
Pretty straight forward question I though.

I have heard that it can be tricky to get the doors levelled up properly so that they open and close smoothly so I was just wondering if anyone had any experience?

Fairly confident I can achieve a decent job with the finishing, just more the setting out and fixing which I was looking for input on.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
King

Make sure the cill is spot on level wise, use a decent size level not a Mickey Mouse diddy one. Once level, run some silicone and/or some foam along the brick/blockwork, some prefer to screw the cill down if you do don't over tighten the screws this will make the cill dip, check the cill with the level again if you have fixed it down.
Run a 'U shape' (viewed from in) bead of silicone along the top of the cill, place frame in and wedge in place or get someone to hold. Frame needs to upright and plumb each way, watch when you open the doors to drill not to get any dust into the running track, make sure the screws are counter sunk in to avoid effecting the doors from running smooth. Once you've fixed sides and head, foam the gap from the outside and have a cup of tea!!
Next bit is the glazing, start the opposite end to where your door is, each pane needs to be packed (toe and heeled) to suit the sash, make your way along until u reach the door itself, again toe and heel, adjust the keeps to get it working nicely, there should also be an adjustment on each of the hinges to close up the gaps if any or to move the doors over if the main door is catching on the frame..... Vacuum out the track, clean, wd40 the track, Roberts your mothers brother (hopefully)
Good luck

Could you be more vague?

i agree really as in

my bathroom cabinet has a bi-fold door
my bedroom door is a top hung bi-fold door
my patio doors have several sections that fold

yes i realise they are different doors and different mechanisms but its easier to know "exactly " what we have to give the correct answer rather than give a 100 word answer and to be told we "don't understand" to have to give another 100 word answer to the correct problem :D ;)

Thanks DHFrames, just the info I needed.

Sincerest apologies to anyone else who I confused

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back