Silicone around window to frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Should windows installed in upvc units be siliconed in to the surrounding frame?
I have had some fitted and they move around some and I wondered if it would need silicone to hold it more firmly in place. I have also had some water leaking in and had the company out to sort this and they drilled some drain holes. I was thinking if the windows were siliconed in then there wouldnt be any water in at at all.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
From experience, if your glazing moves in the frame it has not been installed correctly. Packing pieces should be used to minimise movement before the glazing beads are fitted.

Are the beads loose, does the glass rattle? It might be the glass units are too thin, are the bead rubbers tight against the glass?

Sponsored Links
The glass doesnt rattle around but it moves slightly when the beads are pushed.
I'm trying to cut the noise coming through down and wondered if the silicone would seal the window a bit better.
I seen the guy on the video siliconing around before he puts the glass back in so thought that this should maybe have been done but hasn't.
Cheers

Well i don't know what the problem is but the glass shouldn't be loose in the frame, and silicone shouldn't have to be applied anywhere to hold the glass in, upvc glazing systems are such that when the beads are fitted they clamp or sandwich the glass unit between an inner and outer gasket and quite tightly too

Thanks for your input mate.
To be fair they weren't the most expensive windows so the glass might be paper thin and causing it to move slightly.
Who knows!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back