Silicone turning orange under window?

Sponsored Links
Could be rust from swarf left over when the frame was drilled to fit it leaching into the brick, or perhaps bacteria trapped in the silicone.

Common for a workman to spit on his finger and wipe the silicone smooth, 'corse I've never done that myself :oops: Often suggested as the cause of discolouration problem in bathroom installations, suprised if it has survived outside though.

It might just be cheap mastic, some is prone to discolouration.

Thanks

So if its the screws going rusty did the installer use the wrong ones? Do they need to come back to replace?

The other question is for new double glazing and a composite door it does seem to be noisy, we live by a busy road but we can hear the traffic. What could be the causes and what could we check to resolve?

Would it be using trim with no insulating foam underneath?

Sponsored Links
Yes quite possible the wrong screws could of been used although most screws are zinc plated so this shouldn't happen, another theory is the internal reinforcing is rusting and weeping through the screw holes, it could be getting wet due to poor manufacturing when the drainage holes were drilled.

As for the noise then he you have excessive trimming then noise will transmit if the voids have not been foamed but also check for compression on the gaskets with paper trapped in to see he it pulls out easily

Thanks

So should I ask the installers back to rectify - mentioning either that the screws are rusting or the internal reinforcing is rusting and weeping through? I think they are a Eurocell profile.

How do I check for compression on the gaskets? sorry in laymans terms? there are no openers in the windows by the front door

With the trim is the only way to check if the voids have not been foamed by actually removing the trim? and would this have to be done inside and outside of the windows?

Could be brick dust or if you have a draught around windows then air movement can cause discolouring of sealant.

I thinks its defo rust as its at each end and its where the screws would be screwed up through th cill and into the frame, another thing i noticed is the silicone has been cut through with a stanley knife, either the OP has done this OR the installer decided to re use the existing cill having already cut through it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back