Strange "Magnetic" Window Locks : I Need New &quot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear All

Hopefully somebody can help me.....

I have bought a house to renovate.

It has previously been fitted with uPVC windows, which I intend to keep.

However, the uPVC windows have a strange locking system and the builders appear to have lost the only window "key" that was supplied when we purchased the house.

The windows appear to lock by some kind of magnetic (or electro magnetic) system built into a normal looking uPVC window handle.

The handle looks like a normal uPVC window handle, but there is no lock barrel.....and no button to press.....

However, you do have a small white plastic "thing" (an unusual shape, the follows the contour of the face of the handle where you would normally insert the key - this "thing" being somewhere between square and egg shaped)

Anyway, you place this white plastic "thing" onto / close to the handle (in the same place you would normally insert the key) - and when you get it in just the right position, a small green LED lights up on the plastic white "thing" and the handle can then be turned and the window can then be opened.........

From what I can make out, the windows were fitted in about 2008 (so not that old).

As stated above, my builder appears to have lost the only "key thing" I had to unlock the handles and so I need to purchase a couple of the these opening "key things" ....but found nothing obvious on the internet and I do not know the manufacturer....

I have also asked several handle and lock suppliers without success....the only info I did get was that they MAY have been imported from Italy...

If anybody can shed any light on the matter it would be appreciated..the manufacturer would be good starting point! And even better, if somebody has some I could buy!

Many thanks and best regards

Garry Sewell

Sponsored Links
Fastlock window handles, seen them before, instead of a push button and key you have an indent that your thumb fits into nicely but your thumb don't do nowt, instead you have something which resembles a gobstopper or big marble with a magnet in it, you keep this on your window cill in a little semi circular cup holder, to open the handle you just touch the indented part with the 'gobstopper' and hey presto it unlocks the handle, I think they come from the 'S3' stable of window ironmongery

http://www.linmart.co.uk/hardware/fastlock-window-handles/

Just try a magnet first to see if that unlocks it

Sponsored Links
Hi Garry,

Did you manage to find a replacement to resolve this? We are in need of exactly the same thing you described and finding is so difficult to get a replacement.

Thanks in advance

Sarah

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back